Can you have Juvederm injected into your lips after a permanent lip enhancement?

I had permanent lip augmentation with an implant. an incision at the corners of my mouth and the item was snaked in through that opening in the top and bottom of my lips. My lips were very small. Especially the top lip. They have never been big enough with the implant. They are still small. My husband said he could not tell a difference in the top lip and just a tiny bit in the bottom lip. Is it possible to have juvederm injections to help enhance the lips with this small implant inside the lips?

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. Yes this is possible, but find a  board certified surgeon or expert injector who has alot of experience so that you acheive the best results in a safe manner. 

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

-Dr. Constantino Mendieta

Why not!

Absolutely. Be sure the permanent implant has been in for a while and is fully set. Then seek out an expert injector. While filling around an implant can be done, it takes special skill. When done well the results are very pleasing. Best of luck.

Jeffrey Dover, MD
Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello Pmcneal,

Yes, you can still have lip juvederm injections after having a previous implant into the lips.  The implant should be deeper than where the filler would be injected.  The only risk is that if the implant is more superficial than it should be or the injecting needle introduced too deeply that it could lead to an infection of the implant.  This would be rare and the risk would depend on what type of implant was placed.  Make sure to use a physician injector from one of core aesthetic fields and let him or her know about your implant before the injections.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane

Fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane can be place on top of the implant for a fuller lip. I suggest consulting with an expert for evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Lip filler injector after implant

I would see an experienced injector. There is an increased risk of infection given the implants you have in place. It can be done, just certain precautions need to be taken. 

Conservative Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your excellent question.  Sorry to hear that you continue to have some concerns about the appearance of your lips after permanent lip augmentation with implants.  Fillers can certainly be used in combination with the previously placed lip implants to achieve your desired look.  Beautiful natural results can be achieved with a conservative lip augmentation with Juvederm.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully address your concerns and discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Juvederm after permanent lip enhancement?

Yes, it is possible to have Juvederm injected after permanent lip enhancement with an implant. It will be of the utmost importance for your doctor to sterilely inject the Juvederm to minimize the chance of bacteria contaminating your implant and becoming infected.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Filler after an implant

Yes filler can be placed around a permanent implant in the lip.   The skin should be cleaned with chlorhexidine, and perhaps even antibiotics prescribed since fillers  may act as a biofilm around the implant.  I would recommend  removing the implant,  as a more aesthetic result may be achieved by  filler only, and the long term results of continuous injections around an implant, may lead to problems such as an infection

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can you have Juvederm injected into your lips after a permanent implant is placed?

Thank you for your excellent question.  You can have additional filler material placed to further augment your lips after a permanent silicone implant but special precautions will need to be followed to reduce the risk of possible bacterial contamination.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for your procedure.

Juvederm can help

Juvederm can enhance already augmented lips.
Careful placement of the Juvederm by an experienced injector will help