Is this a common appearance 6 days post-op? (photo)

I had 550cc smooth, round saline implants placed under the muscle 6 days ago. Pre-op I typically wore a B-cup bra, sometimes C depending on brand and etc. I realize it is very common for implants to "right high" in the weeks or even months following surgery. I'm concerned because my implants seem to look distinct from the majority of other BA patients a week post-op. My surgeons office is aware that I'm concerned and they are adamant that my presentation at this time is normal. So, what say you?

Position of implants 6 days post op

Considering the placement of large implants, under the muscle, the appearance of your breasts at 6 days post op is normal. As well, if there was originally some drooping of your breasts- it makes sense that you would see that tissue sitting below the bulk of your implant right now. Your Plastic Surgeon is likely expecting the implant to settle into that tissue and fluff it out as everything softens and settles. This could take between 2-6 months so you will need to be patient. I recommend that you wait until 6 months post op to evaluate.

All the best 

Common Appearance?

Thank you very much for your question.

Submuscular implants can certainly "ride high" for a while before ultimately settling.  I would continue to follow along with your surgeon and follow their recommendations closely.  Also be sure to ask about massage exercises and wearing a bandeau to help push the implants lower more quickly.  Don't be surprised if one implant settles faster than the other one.  Hang in there.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

High riding implants

From the photographs you have sent and the fact that you're so early in the postoperative period, I think you look just fine and we see implants that are this high all the time. It seems to me, that these larger implants have more work to do to soften the muscle in order let them drop to the bottom of the place made for them. The patient and follow up with your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Takes time

Breast implants placed under the muscle ride high in the beginning.  It takes time for them to settle down.
Hang in their with your surgeon.

Shape

You have large implants that have been placed under the muscles. Your muscles have never been stretched like this before, and will need time to relax and let the implants settle. Don't be alarmed if one side settles before the other side. Please keep all your follow up visits, and follow your surgeon's post operative instructions.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

6d post op

At 6 days post operative you are healing very well. The appearance of your breasts are normal for only 6 days post operative. Your breasts will continue to change appearance with time. Typically this can take up to 3-6 months.

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Implant position after Augmentation

From your photo, it appears that your breast implants are high but this is consistent the first week of surgery. The issue at hand is whether you originally needed a lift, and this can only be assessed after seeing pre-op photos. If you needed a lift then the nipple will look lower than ideal in the end. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.
Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD