Is my Botox going to migrate?!

I worked out about an hour after getting injections, was careful to not press on the injection sites, just dabbed the sweat with a wet paper towel. Is this going to cause the Botox to migrate? I'm panicking a little.

Botox and Migration

Once botox is injected its integrated. I do not find exercise makes much of a difference in the risk of migration.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Working out and Botox migration

Good question! It is recommended that you avoid strenuous activity, heavy lifting and bending over and lifting for about 24 hours after Botox treatment. This is to avoid bruising and migration of the Botox. Migration can lead to droopy eyelids. But even if it does migrate , remember that the Botox affects will go away completely after 3 to 4 months. Let your practitioner know if you had any adverse outcomes because she/he may be able to help. Most likely you will be fine.

Botox and working out

Great question!  I always tell my patients that the first four hours are
the most important after getting Botox or any neurotoxin.  Manipulation of
the injected areas during this time can cause migration. We also suggest that you should not work out for 24 hours after Botox injections. It is rare  that you would have any serious side effects from migration. Give it 5-7 days to let the botox take full effect.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Botox Follow Up

Usually it is recommended to wait at least 24 hours after injections to do any physical activity.  The injection site may have bruising and redness which is normal.  Migration of Botox typically does not occur even after working out. 

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Working our after Botox

I usually have my Botox patients wait 24 hours to work out after Botox.  This is both for migration and also working out can cause any bruising to worsen.  In my experience you should be fine.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and exercise

Unfortunately, only time will tell. I usually ask my patients to wait until the next day before exercising. There is a theoretical risk of migration. Hopefully you will be fine. Try to hold off next time.

Botox migration

Hello, and thanks for your question. I generally ask my patients to wait until the following day before working out, given theoretical concerns about migration. At this point, time will tell. Hopefully your result will not be affected, but next time I recommend taking it easy immediately after your injection. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.  

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox aftercare instructions

Thank you for your question lkelly2008. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. For my patients I recommend avoiding heat exposure, alcohol consumption, and strenuous exercise for 24 hours after the treatment. These things can cause the Botox to move and lead to possible side effects such as blurred vision and droopy eyelids. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox

A little panic is good for you.  Most injectors will remind and ask you not to workout for 24 hours after injection.  Yes, indeed, it can migrate, this is why we give the warning.  Only time will tell if you escaped with some luck, but in the future realize that strenuous physical activity within 24 hours of Botox is contraindicated, as is rubbing the areas injected.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Migrating Botox

At this time, all you can do is monitor it. There is potential for Botox to access areas that it was not intended for by manipulating or placing pressure on the injection sites. Although Some of my patients have exercised the same day as their treatment, I ask them to wait until the following day to work out.