Should I do my Tummy Tuck?

I'm 33 years old and a mother of 10 years old daughter n 2 year son. I have thyroid hashimoto disease. I did my gastric sleeve back on 9/6/12 and lost 70 pounds of those pounds I've gained back a 20. I'm currently 210 pounds and I have lots of excessive skin and I want to remove it but I feel that it's selfshi! I went to see a doctor and she told me I was a great candidate for the surgery. The finally fee would be $11,150. I'm not sure what to do!

Elective Procedure vs. Medically Necessary

Dear loveamv,

As long as the hanging skin and fat are not causing infections, chafing and irritation, then this a purely elective procedure and only you can decide whether to proceed or not. On the other hand, if it is hanging low enough to cover your privates and is causing medical skin conditions, it may be covered by insurance. It should be worth checking with them.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Should I do my Tummy Tuck?

Tummy tuck surgery is cosmetic surgery and only you can decide if you should do it. The surgeon will help you decide which procedure and if you are a good candidate for that procedure. 
Personally, I would suggest that you get closer to your goal weight and make the lifestyle changes necessary to maintain the results after the surgery. Surgery will remove the excess skin, but not maintain healthy habits.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs Tummytuck

Hard to advise without photos but sounds like you have options. Diet and exercise is first option. Liposuction will decrease bulk and may even allow you to go down one dress size, but Tummytuck will give you most dramatic result. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

To have or not to have a Tummy Tuck?

Cosmetic Surgery is NOT a "need" surgery, it is a "want" surgery and no one should tell you what to do. It has to come from within you.

There comes a time when you have to ask yourself if you are ready for it or not and act accordingly. In the vast majority of cases, every woman unprompted normally tells us she wishes she had not waited as long as she had.

Follow your heart.

Dr. Peter A  Aldea
Memphis, TN

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck?

Congratulations on losing the weight  with your surgical assistance procedure.  The goal will be to maintain the weight loss if you can.  This is not always possible, but worth e effort if you can maintain it.

Without a full exam I would believe that you may still be a candidate, even with controlled thyroid disease.  I would have a complete discussion with your chosen Plastic Surgeon about what you might expect for the procedure and follow up care needs.  In my practice I always have the patients be in Ted stockings on the legs to attempt to limit the possibilities for having DVT problems with the legs, as well as always using Lovenox as a chemotherapeutic medicine that is injected into the legs superficially each day for 7 days to also lower the possibility.  This can be very important, and should be discussed ahead of time.  Other recommendations should be made, so always coordinate this with your surgeon.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Ideally, you would be at an acceptable stable goal weight BEFORE doing your surgery. In the "real world" this does not always happen. Your Hashimoto's is not much of a risk factor if you are controlled. Your weight adds risk - much more if you are 5'2" than if you are 5'11" at your current weight. Fees vary for place to place and surgeon to surgeon. For instance, if you are a candidate for office surgery in South Florida this procedure might cost in the $4000-$6000 range - but, you are not at "home".

There is really NO reason to not want to do the necessary body recontouring surgery after gastric sleeve surgery. You should think of it as part of the entire process of change.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Tummy Tuck for Mom after Gastric Sleeve and Weight Loss

Thank you for your question about Tummy Tuck.

Deciding to proceed with cosmetic plastic surgery is a personal decision. I will say that "feeling selfish" is one of the most common deterrents for mothers.  However, if the surgery makes you feel better about yourself and allows you to be more active, then it may be easier to be a good mother, which I'm sure you already are.

In general, tummy tuck surgery is safe as long as the surgeon is certified and skilled and the facility is clean, safe and accredited.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Should I do my Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your successful weight loss thus far; you will likely be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point. As you may know, achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with any type of body contouring surgery will be in your best interest.  Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation (best chance to achieve an optimal aesthetic outcome), and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.
Of course, it will be important that the thyroid condition be well controlled as well.

It is not unusual for patients to experience significant emotions, including "guilt" when making decisions about proceeding with elective surgery. Ultimately, whether or not to proceed will be a very personal decision, that only you can make, after careful consideration of pros/cons/risks/complications...

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.  You may find the attached link, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.