Pulmonary Embolism during TT, with my history what is better to do: CoolSculpting, Smart Lipo, or Liposuction?

I had a tummy tuck the same time I had a hysterectomy. On day 5 post op I had a pulmonary embolism. I survived that God but it was the scariest thing in my life. I am thinking about having either cool sculpting or lipo on my inner thighs and pubis mons. I was told I would get better results with smart lipo but, with my history I'm afraid. Which one would you recommend with my history?

Doctor Answers 6

Smartlipo vs. CoolSculpting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Thanks for asking. Without pictures it's hard to say. I would suggest you set up a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. In regards to CoolSculpting you must fit within the templates to avoid a shark bite, so a consult is needed for this. Smartlipo is great for smaller areas. The best part about Smartlipo is skin tighening. The laser heats the area, melts fat and tightens skin then the fat is suctioned out.  It is typically done with local anesthesia so you will be awake. You will be numb so you will not feel pain. Best of luck to you!

Reading Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

I do not put you under general anesthesia for Smartlipo so it should be fine with past hx of pulmonary embolus

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend either Smartlipo or Sculpsure (which i think is better than Coolsculpt) for your areas of concern. In general, Smartlipo will give a more dramatic change for most patients. see a board certified plastic surgeon, who offers both modalities. 

your risk of a DVT or PE is very, very low since neither requires general anesthesia.

david berman md

History of DVT

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry to hear about that very scary event you went through with your TT & hysterectomy procedure. The dangerous part of those is the length of time under general anesthesia, and not being able to ambulate quickly after it. With either Cool Sculpting or Smartlipo, these are much, much safer. These are done in an office setting, walkin-walkout procedures with limited risk of DVT. Smartlipo uses local anesthesia, and oral medication to relax you a bit, but that's it. I would meet with a trusted plastic surgeon near you for a consultation. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

You might also like...

Non-surgical Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Non-surgical treatments such as Coolsculpting or Sculpsure would probably be the safest.  A blood workup for coagulation disorders is appropriate and your internist can do this.

Many recommend a waiting period before further surgery after a PE and blood clots.

Pulmonary embolism and plastic surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In light of your previous unfortunate story I would first recommend a consultation with a hematologist to work you up for a coagulation disorder. The results would determine risks for future surgery and need for preoperative/postoperative anticoagulants. In terms of non-surgical options the history of DVT/PE does not preclude you from getting non-surgical body contouring

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

Liposuction after Pulmonary Embolism

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I recommend getting a formal consultation with a body contouring expert. You can still be a candidate for liposuction. I find that VASER hi def contouring combined with thermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting is the best for these areas. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.