What would it take for my nose to look a certain way? (Photo)

What would it take to make my nose look like the edited version?

Simulated surgery

your photos shows a nice natural reduction of a dorsal hump
the answer is rhinoplasty
depending on some factors you may be able to have a closed one
but open may be needed
either way I think you would be happy

Rhinoplasty with dorsal hump removal

based on your photo you may be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. This procedure would allow for the reduction of the hump by removing the excess bone and cartilage.  This is a very common reason for cosmetic rhinoplasty, and the results can be dramatic and outstanding. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

I agree, but...

Yes, your goal of dorsal reduction is pretty reasonable and totally feasible, but let me suggest tip grafting to correct your so-called poorly defined tip; this creative and artistic surgical maneouver would provide an awesome look to your nose.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to shave down a dorsal hump

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down, without making the nose too ski sloped. The tip  and the bridge  can also be adjusted to match the new bridge line. Computer imaging would be helpful  at  the time of the office setting consultation to get an idea what can be accomplished. Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. Considerate a small chin implant to help with improvement of the side profile. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

What would it take

Your animation demonstrating the type of nasal changes you would like seem reasonable.  Certainly an in person consult is most helpful, but it is great that you have a concept in mind regarding your "new nose".  Typically surgery like this can be performed as an outpatient, takes 2-3 hours, and a cast would remain in place for about 1 week

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Morphed Rhinoplasty Results

Your goals are very realistic and can be achieved with a closed rhinoplasty procedure. You have morphed a very realistic natural result.

Hmm. I don't think you changed it enough. Try mine.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

You took a little bit off of the bump on the bridge of the nose, but you didn't address one of your issues: your nose is very strong in how it projects forward away from your face. When the nose projects like that, it tends to pull the upper lip forward, onto the bottom of the nose.

In my morph, I brought the tip of your nose back closer to your face. Actually, I raised the tip up a bit, too: it may not look like the tip came up, but when a bump is taken off the bridge, and when the nose comes back closer to the face, the nose has a tendency to *look* longer -- to look as though the tip dropped. So the surgeon has to elevate the tip so you don't end up with a nose that looks too long. Perhaps the tip of your nose could come up just a teeny bit more, depending on your preferences.

Also, if the bump is taken off, *without* bringing the tip back to the face, then the hump is no longer "masking" the strong forward projection of your nose, and it can make the nose look as though it's even more projecting than it is now. Coindidentally, tomorrow I'm doing a revision rhinoplasty on a young woman who had  just that: a strongly-projecting nose with a hump. The hump was taken in the first operation, and the projection was left alone. So the nose looked even more projecting, and it looked wrong.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle. Particularly the large amount of deprojection, which is bringing the nose back closer to the face. Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon. Quick summary here, though: a) video imaging is **mandatory**, especially for a nose like yours, b) the surgeon **must** understand the issue of deprojection, and what it will do the apparent length of your nose and lip, c) the surgeon **must** have some before and after photos showing these kind of changes for you. His board-certification diploma is no evidence that he can make the changes he is promising.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Your edited photo shows what can be achieved with a dorsal hump reduction, which is done as part of a rhinoplasty.  This surgery is a cosmetic procedure that can be done as an outpatient and has predictable results that can achieve what you are looking for.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty expectations...

I would suggest visiting with a plastic or facial plastic surgeon to review your concerns. An in person exam can help to establish some goals for surgery.

Based on your photographs, you seem to be an excellent rhinoplasty candidate with realistic goals. While it's not as simple as shaving down the nasal dorsum, a conservative surgery can still be accomplished with a few other refining surgical maneuvers. 

I wish you well!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon