Is a Mommy Makeover possible at my size of 5'8" and 240lbs? If not, how much do I need to lose to make it possible? (Photo)

I am 44 years old with three older children, two born by C-section which stretched my abdominal skin tremendously. I've maintained 230-240 weight for close to 15 years. Tried to lose weight numerous times, but just never get very far. How much weight must I lose to do a tummy tuck? I hate my mommy apron, but don't mind being a bit thicker around the middle. Would like to reduce the area below my c-section scar as it protrudes and perhaps implants to even my breast size and restore fullness.

MM Candidate

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

Weight loss is not absolutely necessary in anticipation of a mommy makeover.

Not everyone can have elective surgery at the ideal body weight. I think you'd get a good result with a mommy makeover. Somewhat would be lost of the time of the operation directly. The psychological lift most women get after the procedure sometimes sparks further weight loss.

Safety first

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

BMI 36

Of course, ideal to proceed when you are closer to a BMI of 30, which is my preference. Having said that, at you current weight, you could have a significant improvement in your abdomen but you have to understand that all complications are much higher under these circumstances. Wound healing from fat necrosis can take months to heal; infected seromas as well to name a few. If you choose to go ahead, make sure you fully understand the risks and additional costs involved.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Do I need to lose weight before I undergo a Mommy Make Over?

Many patient's struggle with weight loss. Eventually most people settle into a weight they are comfortable with even though in the perfect world it would be ideal to lose more weight. If you are at a weight that you feel comfortable with and are in otherwise good health you would be a good candidate for these procedures. Judging by your photographs a breast augmentation, full tummy tuck should provide you with a very nice change  Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover possible?

Thank you for your question. It is beneficial for many reasons to loose excess weight before proceeding with a Mommy Makeover.

Schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your expectations and assess if you are a candidate for this procedure.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Too heavy for a mommy make-over at 240?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• In an ideal world, you would lose weight before your mommy make-over.
  • But you are not too heavy to have one done.
  • The mommy make-over will remove the excess skin, tighten the muscle and remove fat at the sides.
  • If you cannot lose weight afterwards, you will slowly regain the weight, usually to different areas -
  • Let's hope the surgery makes it possible for you to lose weight at last. 
  • But please do not have multiple procedures with your surgery - at your weight it is best to reduce your risks by not trying to have too much done at one time.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

It is my pleasure to answer your question. You are a candidate for Mommy Makeover. I recommend you Liposuction, Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift.

Aramis Vega, MD

Is a Mommy Makeover possible at my size of 5'8" and 240lbs? If not, how much do I need to lose to make it possible?

I would not recommend a tummy tuck at your current height and weight. If you can lose weight to get your BMI (Body Mass Index) below 30, you have a better result and your post op course will have fewer risks for complications. Thank you for sharing your question and photos. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Better to Wait...

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.