How can I lose 8lb safely before my surgery?

My surgery is July 26, 2016. I need to lose these last 8lbs so my BMI can be under 35. What can I do to lose these last 8lbs with 14 days.

Paleo diet

For healthy weight loss and limited time you should consider the Paleo diet with a diligent exercise regimen. Watch the pounds fall away! 

Surgery Preparation

Hello Wildflower74,Thank you for question. The best advice I could give you on how to lose 8lbs prior to your upcoming surgery would be to main a well-balance diet. Eating protein the size of your palm for your meals is recommended. Eliminating all starches, fats, and sugars will also assist with decreasing your BMI. I wish you luck with you upcoming surgery. 

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  8 pounds in 11 days is an unreasonable amount of weight to safely lose and it would leave your body in a nutritionally deficient state that could complicate your wound-healing abilities after surgery.  It is best to be weight stable prior to any procedure and If you are not medically and physically optimized prior to surgery, it would be best to delay your procedure for a later time so as not to leave you with a potential poor outcome.  Best wishes.

Losing weight before surgery

Thank you for your question. It would be best to try to lose weight with a well balanced diet and exercise. Keeping your calories restrictive to 1000-1200 calories, as well as drink lots of water. Good Luck.

Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for your question.  I am not sure it is realistic to try to lose 8 pounds in 14 days. Typically about 2 pounds a week is a reasonable amount of weight to safely lose and maintain.   If a BMI under 35 is a requirement for your surgery, you may want to postpone your surgery to a later date so that you an lose the weight safely and maintain it for several months. It is always best to be as close as you can be to your own ideal weight and a weight that is stable before proceeding with surgery.  This is the safest course and will give you the best long term result. I would speak to your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns so they can advise you as to whether  you can safely proceed with your surgery at this time. Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

It’s not recommended that you lose 8lbs in 14 days.

What you’re proposing is rapid weight loss that would likely put the body into a vulnerable position and compromise both your surgery as well as your healing. If you absolutely need to be at a BMI of 35 before your procedure, then consider postponing your tummy tuck. Ideally, you want to be able to gradually lose those last 8 pounds over a period of about a month, and then be able to maintain that stable weight for several months before you have a tummy tuck. The best way to do this is to make healthy lifestyle changes that you can keep in place as you recover from your tummy tuck so that you’ll be able to enjoy long-lasting results.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS