I have a large mole on my chest, it's a birthmark. Can I get it removed? (photo)

Doctor Answers 3

Congenital melanocytic nevus

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a surgical problem that requires diligent planning to minimize longterm scars. 


Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

Possible options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a very large mole on a cosmetically sensitive area. There are both surgical and non-surgical ways to address this, none of which is a perfect solution. From a non-surgical perspective, lasers, shave, and/or chemical peels may help. They will generally help make the mole "fade" away but it is unlikely that this will completely go away. It will also likely require multiple treatments. From surgical perspective, it may be possible to remove it but it may require several staged surgeries, likely with the use of tissue expander. Even then, you may have significant scarring. As such, I would recommend a formal consultation a dermatologist and/or plastic surgeon to go over these options. 

Edward I. Lee, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

See a Cosmetic Dermatologist for Mole Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. This can be improved or removed with lasers, radiowave or shave. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.