I have a bulbous nose. What are my options for getting a smaller more defined nose(tip as well)? (Photos)

I have a bulbous nose. What are my options for getting a smaller more defined nose(tip as well)?

Rhinoplasty

• Thank you for the question.  While your nose presents with the issues of excessive width and thick skin, you can see refinement and narrowing with tip cartilage resection and suturing remaining cartilage together.  You can also carefully remove a cresent of ala, which will also help to narrow the width.

Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thanks for the question. I do see that you have a slightly wide and bulbous nose. If you would like, a rhinoplasty can achieve a more defined tip, slightly narrower base, and more defined and higher bridge if needed (Need profile pictures). Depending on skin thickness, there may be a limitation to how much definition you get in the tip but it can certainly be made better. Get more information from consultations. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have a bulbous nose, what are my options for getting a smaller and more defined nasal tip?

The bulbous tip is usually made smaller with a combination of suture techniques and conservative cartilage removal applied to the nasal to cartilages. Thick skin in the tip of the nose will be a significant impediment to seeing refinement in that area. Wide nostrils are narrowed within an alar-plasty. The wide bridge line is narrowed with osteotomies.  For more information  and many before and after rhinoplasty examples, please see the video and the link below

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Bulbous nose. What are my options for getting a smaller more defined nose(tip as well)?

Improving the cosmetic appearance of the nose by making it a little smaller and refining its shape, yet having the result look natural, is a frequent request from patients seeking a rhinoplasty.  Every nose is different and unique to that individual. If the appearance of your nose concerns you enough to do something about it, it can be improved with a natural artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an in person examination (not just an online consultation) and discussion about desired outcome. Excellent results can be achieved with either a closed or open technique.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how to do it based on 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty , some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. Based on your photographs, it appears that you could make some improvements with a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of the nose and refine the tip. This includes removing extra cartilage, trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Based on your photos, you are a great candidate for Rhinoplasty surgery with tip refinement.  Your thick skin will have some limitation on how refined the tip will be, but overall, I think you could have an excellent result.  Consult with a highly experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD