How can I get my BMI from 34.2 to 31 in under 12 weeks before my mommy makeover surgery? Help please!

My bmi is 34.2 and I need it to be 31 or lower for my mommy makeover. That's about 25lbs, so my question is how can I drop 25lbs in 12 weeks?? As of today I have only 12 weeks to lose 25 pounds. I lost 45 pounds before in the past, but it took longer than 3 months to do so. I do walk for about 1 hr. I don't eat candy, fried foods, or breads ect. I know I need to burn 3000 calories to burn 1 lbs. Should I go to a weigh loss clinic for pills? What can I do in this short time that I have?

Best to be at a Consistent Weight for at Least 12 Months

It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

Aggressive weight loss immediately prior to mommy makeover is not a good idea.

Weight loss in a patient with a high BMI is always an admirable goal. However precipitous loss immediately prior to significant surgery is not a good idea. The body is catabolic at this time and surgical risk would be increased.

Why rush?

Plastic surgery is a big investment. What is the rush to have elective surgery? Take your time getting the weight down the right way, with diet and exercise, then get the surgery when you are ready. Extreme measures to bring your weight down often rebound with worse weight gain later. You may seek out the help of a personal trainer and dietitian if you haven't already. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before mommy makeover

Thanks for ur question! I think u can lose that amount of weight, but u need to do it safely, & hopefully without the help of pills. It really comes down to diet (calories in), exercise (calories out), & hydration (flushing the body). I personally like low carb, gluten free diet: works for me! Best of luck!

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Do not attempt radical weight loss and consider postponement of surgery

The weight after surgery needs to be appropriate to give you the best result. If you are overweight this could certainly affect your outcome as the contour achieved will not be pleasing.

Losing weight rapidly is also not appropriate as this can have ill effects on your overall health.

My advice would be to consider postponement of surgery so as to give yourself adequate time to loose the required weight. 

This is critical before having an operation which is quite involved and to avoid any complications, healing issues and also to give the best possible result.

I would definitely consider working with a dietitian who is knowledgeable in this area to help you in full preparation before this major operation. 

Sanjay Azad, MS, FRCSEd
Thunder Bay Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over...is 25 pounds in 12 weeks possible

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Yes - in the time you have, you can lose 25 pounds safely - but not with pills.
  • On a restricted diet, the average safe weight loss is 2 pounds a week = 24 pounds in 12 weeks.
  • First - walking on the flat burns few calories. Start walking briskly - half of it up hill for an hour a day.
  • If you have a swimming pool, swim the crawl for an hour if you have no hills to walk.
  • Second - count your calories and eat 1500 calories a day - in lean meat, fruit and vegetables.
  • Third - join a dance or other exercise class on top of your daily walk.
  • Have your doctor check your thyroid - if you are low thyroid, treatment can help you lose 2-5 pounds.
  • If this sounds like more than you can handle (and it is a lot), postpone the surgery -
  • Have your regular doctor help you with a slower weight loss plan.
  • The goal is not just to lose weight for surgery - but to keep it off afterwards so your health is as good as your body!.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

How can I get my BMI from 34.2 to 31 in under 12 weeks before my mommy makeover surgery?

Thank you for your question.  You really need to go see your primary doctor or a weight loss specialist.  They can help you lose the weight you need to safely.  Just realize that it may take more than 12 weeks - everyone is different on how fast they lose weight.

Rigo Mendoza, MD