1 year post-op and worried about results. Are my implants too big? (Photo)

1 yr post op 32A to 34D almost DD. Athletic build 5'2" 120lbs. Seem too big for my body and arent seperating any. Paid them a visit a month ago and they told me to keep massaging them, that theyll probably drop and massage them outwards to move them apart. I have been doing so and its been unsuccessful. They seem too close together and from what ive gathered chances of them moving anymore are slim to none. Going back for a checkup soon should I request a revision? Possible symmastia?

Size is a matter of personal preference

If you think that they are too large for your body, then they are too large.  Your personal perception of what you want your body to look like is all that matters.  From a purely objective point of view, they are not too large for your frame and you do not have synmastia.

Are the too big?

From your photographs, your results looks quite good to me. Whether they are too big is purely subjective on the patients part. I found after 25 years in practice, what is too big for one patient means not big enough for the next. At this point, outside of the development of capsular contracture, I wouldn't expect there to be much change in the position of your implants. You certainly can have a downsizing procedure done at this point in time. Hope this is helpful. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

1 year post op

Thank you for your question and photos. Yes, unfortunately at 1 year, you are not likely to note significant improvement. It does not appear that you have synmastia but that your implants are too large to settle naturally into the space available. I recommend that you discuss secondary surgery options with your plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Are my implants too big and too close together?

At 1 year postop, your results are not going to change significantly. You do not have symmastia but your implants are close together with a fair amount of lateral breast bulge indicating, that yes, your implants are large for your frame. At this point, your best option would be to replace with smaller implants, which will allow a more natural shape, and more distance between the breasts. Getting more than one opinion from an experienced surgeon is a good idea when considering revision.

1 year post-op and worried about results. Are my implants too big?

Your photos are quite small and not in sharp focus, but I believe your question provides enough information to answer your question. First of all, when you say your breasts aren't "separating," I believe you are describing cutaneous symmastia, which I can also see in your photo by the flatness between your breasts. Your implants are a bit too close, and "too large" is in the eye of the beholder (you), so I'll take that as correct as well.

At one year from surgery, things aren't going to change very much at all--massage, elastic bands, and outward pressure notwithstanding. This simply seems to be a delay tactic, as you require revision surgery to perform bilateral medial capsulorrhaphies, probably lateral capsulotomies, and placement of the smaller implants you desire, which will help the other things work out. You will need to wear a symmastia (thong) bra post-operatively day and night for 6-12 weeks (the longer the better and more successful), and this may affect clothing styles, especially in the summer.

You should already know the revision or touch-up surgery policy of your surgeon, but if not, now is the time to ask. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

The implant size makes up a large part of our preop discussion. My patients tell me their goals and I let them know if it's possible. i also use a sizer intraoperatively to see what implants fit the pocket and if the size is appropriate.   

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - are my implants too big

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I understand your concern -
  • Your photo does not show symmastia (implants touching) but they are vary close.
  • It also looks as though the implants still bulge a little at the sides.
  • Massage after a year will not change your result.
  • Since your implants haven't settled, you will need a revision ;to release the capsule -
  • And based on the photo alone, I would suggest smaller implants.
  • The pocket needs to be made smaller to separate the breasts in the middle and close the pocket at the side, probably. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Revision surg

I do not believe that your breast will relax much from here! You can attempt tissue expansion exercises and vitamin E orally each day. An open capsulectomy will probably be required to decrease the hardening and the scar tissue. Lateral capsulotomy will reduce the symmastia as well. Best of luck.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Are my implants too big?

Thanks for posting your concerns. The photos are too grainy to see you cleavage well and I cannot tell if you have symmastia. Either way, you sound dissatisfied with your results and considering a smaller implant is a good option if you feel over-augmented! This will require you pay for surgery and new breast implants if you have silicone. With saline implants, some saline can be removed and perhaps give you greater satisfaction with your results. Carefully consider the risks of another operation. Sometimes, it helps to have a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon. 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Thank you for your question and photos.  If you feel that your implants are too close together, you only option appears to be to go with a smaller implants.  going smaller will also help with that tight look.  Part of that tight look is due to big implants and it also appears that your implants are under the muscle - this can keep the implants from moving much if your muscles are very strong.  I usually do silicone implants above the muscle in bodybuilders and very athletic women to prevent this.  Finally, it does not appear that you have symmastia.

Rigo Mendoza, MD