why doesn't my PS want me to have any special testing such as blood work or ekg, etc. before having a full abdominoplasty?

Blood work

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon is different in there pre operative evaluation of patients. I cannot address the thoughts of your specific plastic surgeon. In my practice i always obtain a complete blood chemistry profile including a Cbc with differential and platelets and a chemistry 20, EKG, chest X-ray and a medical clearance. Thank you for your question. Best wishes in your endeavors and upcoming surgery!
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society,
AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Lab work prior to full abdominoplasty

Ordinarily the physician who is performing surgery in the office setting in most states, will have accreditation that requires some basic lab testing, in cooperation with the anesthesia service.  If your tummy tuck is going to be performed under twilight sedation with local and there is limited muscle work, then  less lab information is required.  If the surgery is being performed at a hospital or ambulatory center, then lab work is required. The anesthesia provider if not the physician, will require a blood count and studies that evaluate any medical conditions mentioned in the pre-anesthesia questionnaire.  If you have had recent studies from your primary physician he may be able to use these if performed close to the time of your surgery.    For general anesthesia with an anesthesiologist, lab tests will be mandatory.

Donn Hickman, MD

Why doesn't my PS want me to have any special testing such as blood work or ekg, etc. before having a full abdominoplasty?

Interesting question.  Pre-operative blood work, EKG, etc., are not mandatory in all cases, and they are at the discretion of the surgeon.  A young healthy individual with no medical history can have a full abdominoplasty without any blood work.  However, in California we always ask for basic blood work, which consists of CBC, PT, and PTT even in young healthy individuals, and an EKG for women over 50.  Hope that helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Preoperative workup

Thank you for your question.  Preoperative labs and studies are not always necessary if you are healthy with no significant past medical history.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon before surgery.

Blood work

If you are young and healthy, you should not need blood work prior to the surgery.   If you have medical problems, it would be advisable to to talk with your surgeon about these issues. 

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

I would suggest that your surgeon be  certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. If you have concerns get a consultation from another plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California  

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Get another PS

Hello.  Thank you for your question.   Having a proper evaluation with standardized protocols before  your surgery will keep you in most of the cases out of complications that can be avoided.  You should look for another PS who is also certified. Have a great day.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  Depending on your age and medical history you may not have the risk factors that an EKG or X-ray is needed, but it is often wise to have minimum blood work drawn to ensure that all is well with your blood counts and ability to clot.  Talk to your surgeon about your concerns.