After breaking my nose 20 yrs ago, I'm thinking of having rhinoplasty. How long will I have to wear bandages? (Photo)

I am a florist , and want to know how long recovery time is before I can take bandages off

Nasal splint / downtime after rhinoplasty

There really aren't any bandages per se. There is a small flexible splint that sits on the nasal bridge for 5-6 days, in most cases. All sutures are either trimmed or removed at that point as well. Bruising can persist for 7-10 days in some cases. Most people will return to work around 5-7 days depending upon how forthcoming they plan to be about having a procedure done.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

After breaking my nose 20 yrs ago, I'm thinking of having rhinoplasty. How long will I have to wear bandages?

A splint is used for a week or so in most cases. 

Los Angeles, CA..................

Rhinoplasty Recovery

Recovery after rhinoplasty involves wearing tapes and a splint on your nose for 6-7 days after surgery. The day after this is removed you would look presentable, but would still have some swelling to the skin of the nose that would be noticeable to only people who know you well.

Also, you look like a good candidate for fillers to help create a softer appearance around the cheeks and eyes. 

A consultation in person would be helpful to discuss your goals.

Sumit Bapna, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You would likely require significant rasping of the dorsum and spreader grafts from your septum as well.  Therefore you would need a dorsal splint and an internal splint.  These are typically left in place for 1 week.  At which point you would have no further bandages.  Best wishes!

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty after injury.

It is very common to have a deviated nose or flattened, widened nose after an injury. These flaws can be corrected successful by an experienced surgeon. 
You do have a deviated nose with irregularities wide upper half of the nose and slightly wider than average tip. In general we keep the nose splint in place for 7-8 days and most patients look presentable the day after removal of the bandages and can go back to work.  

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to straighten a broken nose

The rhinoplasty procedure can straighten the broken nose and make it more symmetrical. This is accomplished with closed rhinoplasty techniques whereby all the incisions are placed on the inside of the nose. Osteotomies  are performed on the nasal bones to narrow and straighten them. Occasionally, a spreader graft composed of the patient's own cartilage is inserted along the mid vault of the nose for  symmetry.   Anticipate the cast on the nose for one  week, and bruising and swelling lasting approximately 2 weeks.  For many examples and more information about straightening the crooked nose, please see the  link and the video below

Each surgeon has their own personal time frame - usually 5 days.......................................

How long for bandages after rhinoplasty.

The splint will stay on for about six days after rhinoplasty, and sometimes tape is applied for a week after to help control swelling. Recovery should be a week as most are back to work at that time.

Bandages after rhinoplasty

Thank you for asking about your rhinoplasty.

In general, rhinoplasty bandaging goes like this:
  • Week 1 - a visible hard bandage over the nose
  • Week 2 - the hard bandage is removed between day 5 - 10 and the nose is taped for support.
  • Most people are back to work after a week but the nose is still puffy from swelling
  • Week 3 - the taping is used at night but need not be used during the day.
Every surgeon is different but this may be a helpful guide.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Postop rhinoplasty

Immediately after surgery, a small splint will be placed on your nose to protect it and to keep the structure stable for a week. If packing is placed inside the nose during surgery, it is removed the morning following the surgery. Your face will feel puffy, especially the first day after surgery. Pain medication may be required.  In the immediate days following surgery, you may experience bruising and minor swelling in the eye area. Cold compresses often reduce the bruising and discomfort.. Nasal splints and sutures are usually removed seven days after surgery.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon