How to Really Know Who Has a Lot of Experience in Radiesse for Cheeks and for Under Eye Hollows?

There are 1000s and its very hard to find someone that really does this everyday and is great at molding, i have had done many times and am willing to travel anywhere to get the best results thanks

Doctor Answers 13

Who should you go to for under eye hallows and cheeks?

Radiesse is a filler made of the same matrix as some of our deeper tissues. It is not only a filler, but also a collagen stimulator. It typically lasts about a year, but can last up to two years or more when injected in areas of minimal movement such as the deep fat pads of the cheek. The million dollar question is who should fill your face. Radiesse is actually a wonderful filler for correcting under eye hollows, but most are not familiar with where to put the filler to fix this problem. The best location to fix deficits in the cheek and the under eye hollows is where there is deficient volume.

There are deep fat pads in the face that sit on the bone.  Moving towards the surface, there is a layer of muscle, then a superficial fat layer.  With time Mother Nature extracts fat from our face, approximately 5 mL a decade.  As it turns out, when we lose weight, we lose it first from the face, rather than the back side or thighs.  Kind of a raw deal!

I agree with Dr. Schwartz below, it is the technique and experience (including knowledge of facial anatomy) of the injector that makes the difference to give you a beautiful and natural appearance. I disagree a bit with his suggestion that you should seek out a paid teacher or consultant for one of the drug companies that makes these products. The point he is trying to make is that they are usually very skilled injectors. I completely agree with this, but I wouldn't want to be swayed by anything other than unbiased council and direction when discussing and recommending fillers to use and where to use them. Plus, there are scores of great injectors who are not paid consultants of pharmaceutical companies.  The key is how to find them, which can be a challenging issue.

I would go by online reviews, recommendations of friends, and even better, if you have multiple before and after pictures on the internet to choose from.  Good luck.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews


Just ask the physician their training and experience. Every patient is different. Radiesse would not be my first pick for tear troughs (I usually go with Restylane as a first choice). Radiesse is great for cheeks. Good luck in your search!

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

How to Really Know Who Has a Lot of Experience in Radiesse for Cheeks and for Under Eye Hollows?

 Radiesse is too thick of a filler to be used under the eye where the skin is quite thin.  Find an MD that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty to shape the cheeks properly.  I prefer using Perlane to shape the cheeks.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

How to Really Know Who Has a Lot of Experience in Radiesse for Cheeks and for Under Eye Hollows?

Radiesse is an excellent product for mid and deep level injection locations.  I think it's an excellent choice for the cheeks (malar prominences), chin, and nasolabial areas but I do not recommend it for the undereye area.  Instead, HAs (such as Restylane, Perlane and Juvederm) are generally used in that region.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Radiesse injections

Radiesse is a great product for the cheeks, midface and deep folds.  I use it regularly in my practice.  It is not recommended by most physicians or by the company to be used under the eyes.  There are other products that are better for this area.  Physicians that specialize in cosmetic procedures of face such as facial plastic surgeons, dermatologists, and plastic surgeons are most likely to have the most experience with Radiesse.

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Who has experience with Radiesse

I have been injecting Radiesse for 8 years now, and I find it to be a very good filler when injected at the right depth and in the right location, and in the right person. There are many others with experience too. I would use it for the cheeks, but would be hesitant to use it in the under eye hollows. Best to look for an experienced and highly trained injector such as a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Fillers injection around the eyes

The type of filler, technique of injection, and the location of the injection all matter in achieving the best results. There are areas on the face (i.e. around the eyes) which are definitely more technically challenging to inject than others. Oculoplastic surgeons specialize in treating around the eyes. Other physicians, with experience injecting in these areas, are good too. See their website with before/after photos.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

How to choose your injecting physician

Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, “The only source of knowledge is experience”. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors. Regarding tear trough injections, Radiesse can be used quite safely for the tear troughs under the eyes but only in very experience hands as it is not reversible like the hyaluronic acid fillers. When done right, it gives a nice result that is much longer-lasting than using hyaluronic acid fillers in this area. The video link below shows me injecting my wife with Radiesse into the lower cheeks, marionette lines, and jaw line as well as before and after pictures.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Looking for the right injector

Finding the right injector is important. Initial consults are helpful to assess your needs. I generally would not use Radiesse in the tear troughs (under eyes) but love it for adding volume to cheeks, etc. You may do well with a mix of fillers that address each area of need. I wish you luck in your search!

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.7 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

How to find a good injector for facial fillers

Well you've asked the million dollar question. First, ask your friends and family members who they go to or like. This helps. Second, do your own research. Look on sites like RealSelf, or the manufacturer's sites to see who's even listed as a purchaser of their products. Look at the doctors' sites to see what they say and talk about. Finally, book some consultations and see who you meet and like. I would agree with all the other postings on here that you shouldn't be getting Radiesse in the tear troughs. It's a great deep filler for building cheeks, but should not be used in thin-skinned areas under the eyes. So, one thing, if you find someone to do this for you, they may not be a great injector to begin with because it's simply not a good idea to put it there!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.