I have lost 25% of my right breast due to breast cancer. Will OHIP pay to have this breast reconstructed?

Breast Reconstruction - OHIP coverage

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry you are having to go through losing a portion of your right breast.  Breast reconstruction is covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan), including surgery to the left breast.  I  recommend you contact OHIP for further information on your coverage. Do your research and select a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to perform your reconstructive surgery.  

Best Regards,

Hello!  Thank you for your question. Here in the US, for breast cancer,  insurances typically must pay for reconstruction on the affected side as well as symmetry procedure on the contralateral side.  

I am unsure of the exact logistics of OHIP, since it is a Canadian plan?  Regardless, I would start by contacting your plan and discussing this with them.  Afterwards, consult with a plastic surgeon and discuss your goals and desires and a/he will be able to discuss the various options available to you. You an them decide which option will be the best one for you. Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD