Losing Weight After Lipo - Exercise and Proper Eating Not Working!

I had lipo of my abdomen, flanks, back, hips and and inner and outer thighs done 4 weeks ago today! I am very pleased with the results so far because my contours look great. I've lost 13 lbs. from just the lipo so far. However, for the past 2 and a half weeks I have been eating very, very well (I know for a fact that I am consuming less than what I am burning) and I am working out alot (40mins-1 hr on the ellipitcal every other night), but I haven't lost one pound! Why can't I lose more? :(

Concentrate on muscle tone rather than the bathroom scale

You look great! You may not have any fat to lose and may be building muscle mass instead. Try not to concentrate on your weight, as you should focus more on the actual fat on your body and your muscle tone instead, which looks good. 

Too early to worry

At 4 weeks after liposuction, you should not be concerned about the outcome yet.  It is a contouring operation first and foremost.  The contours will improve over the next 6 months.

Time is your friend

Congratulations! You look great! Liposuction in combination with excellent eating habits and exercise provides by far the best results. You are already heading there.

At four weeks out, there is still a considerable amount of water from the procedure your body hasn't yet shed. When this occurs you will see some pounds miraculously disappear.  Now you can think more in terms of maintaining your desired look, and dimensions, and less in terms of actual weight.

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after liposuction

Congratulations on your great result!

You may not want to focus too much on your weight right now. The guidelines for weight loss are 1-2 pounds per a week and you don't appear to have much fat on your body. Keep up the exercises and proper diet.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Weight loss after liposuction

Congratulations on the 13 lb weight loss!! The credit goes to YOU and not liposuction. Liposuction does NOT cause weight loss. If you've reached a plateau with weight loss it may be because you're eating too little. As you reduce your calorie intake, your body compensates and burns less fat. You may need to add weight lifting to your exercise regimen to increase the calorie burn. Secondly, as you adding muscle bulk by exercising, you're adding muscle weight as you lose fat. Fat weighs less than an equal amount of muscle. You can start to see your weight staying the same. However, your body fat content will be diminishing. Your body shape will also change from gaining muscle and losing fat. Don't focus on weight alone. It is not a true indicator of the changes in your body or the success of your efforts. You're doing very well already and a little tweaking of your exercise regimen may be what you need. You might benefit from consulting with a fitness trainer. 

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Gaining muscle not fat

Your photo looks like you got a good result. If you're not losing weight but still looking lean, you may be gaining muscle. That's what's making you heavier. Don't worry - it's a good thing because you're still burning fat!

Weight loss and liposuction

You look pretty good in the photos, but yyou lost a lot of weight already. I would not be discouraged but maybe you have hit the limit of what is healthy for you?

Weight loss after lipo

You look good and don't look like you need to lose much more weight or that you have much excess fat.  As you exercise, you will build muscle which will counteract weight loss.  At this point it is more important what you look like than exactly what you weigh. 

Your body may be holding onto all the current weight knowing that it would not be healthy to lose more.  If you watch The Biggest Loser, you will know that weight loss varies from week to week quite dramatically despite doing all "the right things."

Liposuction and Weight Loss

Please remember that liposuction is not a procedure meant for weight loss.  It is possible that you are building muscle mass, and muscle weighs more than fat.  Focus on your recovery, maintaining healthy eating and exercise habits, and not what the scale may reads.  Enjoy your new results and best of luck!!

Swelling can account for weight persistence.

Your pictures demonstrate that you’ve had an excellent result from your liposuction procedure.It’s not unusual for patients to have residual swelling four weeks following surgery.This swelling may account for your persistent weight, despite exercise and dietary restrictions.As lymphatic channels reconstitute, your swelling should disappear, and at that point you should see the changes that you’re looking for.