Just Lose Skin or Belly Fat? (photo)

Hi, I've had three little ones, youngest is 1. I've been working out daily since he has been about 8 weeks old. I'm having so much trouble in my midsection. I don't even know if its worth working out or if it is just saggy skin. Thanks. I'm 5'2 and currently 124, hoping to lose about 6 more pounds.

Doctor Answers 3

You have some skin laxity as well

from the pictures, your skin has some laxity.  underneath that skin it appears that you may have some fat deposition.

your options are  to do smartlipo treatment, but it would have to remain on the milder side otherwise you can get skin wrinkling which does  not look good.  Overall, you can't expect to see a very big difference from such a treatment, but discuss it with your surgeon and he can get you a better idea (also depends on the amount of muscle laxity).

the other option would be to do a tummy tuck which can better handle your degree of changes

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 106 reviews

Just Loose Skin or Belly Fat?

     I think a tummy tuck will better address the tummy than would liposuction due to skin laxity and abdominal wall laxity.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck

Hello. It look like you have a combination of some loose skin (which would be typical after 3 kids) as well as some fat and probably some separation of the underlying abdominal muscles. As you continue to lose weight you may become more frustrated with the loose skin which may become even more apparent. This is very common after having children and liposuction in an area of loose skin can make it look even worse. Like deflating an already partially deflated beach ball.  Patient who have Tummy Tucks after having kids tend to be very happy so there is hope. See a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in body contouring in your area for more specific details.  Good luck!@

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.