Which implants should I choose to achieve my desired result? (Photo)

I am 5'6, 125lbs. Im currently a small 32B. I am looki to go to a Full C. I want a natural but full look (without a permanent cleavage or looking like they're 'stuck on') and have been advised lots of different things. My 3 options are: Round silicone 330cc Round silicone 300cc Anatomical silicone 300cc I have attached a picture of me now and my ideal result. Please help....I'm so confused!

Round, smooth, submuscular silicone gel

It's really not that confusing, but there are a lot of different opinions out there.  You look like you're young and have what we call a "tight skin envelope."  What that means is that you're skin hasn't been stretched by pregnancy.  Women such as yourself will always look a little more "fake" when compared to a women that has looser skin.  I prefer round implants because of the rotation problem with a shaped implant and I do not believe that it gives the better shape that it claims.  Put the implant under the muscle, something around 300cc should be fine (there's not much difference between 300 and 330, but I think smaller is better), and use an inframammary incision.  You may need asymmetric implants as well.  Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right implant size to achieve your goals

In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr.Basu
Houston, TX

Breast implant choices

The breast implant shape or style is not as important as the shape of your own natural breast before surgery. You start out with a good shape and you will end up with a good shape. Implants really only give you volume. There is very little that can be done to make a significant change to your breast shape with just an implant. You have a good starting point, so you should feel good about your expected results. The size of the implant will certainly have a significant impact on your outcome more so than the shape of the implant. Choosing the correct size for your body measurements along with your surgeon is the most important decision. Once you have chosen the surgeon that is right for you, review your sizing in detail.

Which implants should I choose to achieve my desired result?

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals we have time for a you their stuff's's homewith your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "full C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Wanting a natural result

Thanks for your question.  It sounds like all of the surgeons have recommended implants that are close in volume (only 10% difference) so you are getting consistent advice about breast implant sizing.  Round and anatomic implants have unique advantages and disadvantages; if you are unclear which choice is appropriate in your case I would recommend arranging followup appointment(s) with your plastic surgeon(s).

Size

once you decide to do BA, the size is the most important decision. to get you (from your photos) to a full C cup, you will need at least a 400cc implant if not more. i think the 300 to 330cc will make you avery nice medium C. go with round and under the muscle. the example photos you showed are very useful and can be used during surgery. remember, the one regret that is most common is " i wish i was i little bit bigger". 

Breast Augmentation: What implant should I use?

First off, feel good that you are an ideal augmentation patient!  You are not overweight, your breasts are symmetrical, your nipples are not too low, and you have great cleavage. 
I think your result, no matter what implant type you use, will be similar to your second picture.  There is debate as to whether anatomic implants are better than smooth round implants in terms of results.  So I would recommend the 330cc implant as the extra volume will get you toward your desired size.  The most common complaint following breast augmentation is "I wish I were bigger".  The size your plastic surgeon chose should be largely based on the diameter of your breasts. To get you to a full C (or D cup which is what the second picture looks to me) I am assuming she-he is recommending the largest implant that can "fit" on your chest wall properly and give you the volume  you desire.

Breast Augmentation

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Pateint's often regret deicisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, in your case, I'm assuming something a bit more natural looking, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explaination of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarlandtX #houstonTX

Which Size implants

One of the simplest ways for you to proceed, in my experience, would be to find a surgeon with a Vectra 3-D imaging platform in their office. I can show my perspective breast implant patients, especially when they're built like you are from the photos that you provided, pretty close to what the actual result would look like with the differences between moderate profile, high profile, round compared to shaped implants. Sizer's that Mentor makes also work well in placing over your existing breasts to approximate in a T-shirt or bra what the corresponding size implant under the muscle would look like. I tell our patients that a 300 mL implant can look different in every single patient and that the overall look of the  augmented breast is the combination of their innate breast plus the implant. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS