What are the potential cons of fat transfer for lip augmentation? Does the fat tend to become lumpy or will it remain smooth?

I am a 25 y/o female who has gotten fillers in my lips twice (Juvederm & Restylane Silk). I want to use the fat transfer augmentation method as opposed to temporary fillers. I'd like a permanent to semi-permanent alternative but will not consider an implant. I've received mixed opinions on the use of fat for lips. I've been told that this method is not preferred b/c the fat tends to become lumpy in the lips. Aside from achieving fullness, the most important thing is for my lips to look natural.

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

You have to go to someone meticulous and well trained, someone who uses PRP and water harvesting and mirocannulas injection. You will get the best outcomes.  Dr. Emer.

Fat transfer for lip augmentation

Fat is very natural in the lips and I have never had problems with lumping. The only concern with fat transfer is that it may not last as long  as in other areas of the face due to the highly mobile nature of the lips. 

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Fat for fuller lips?

I have used fat for lips for 35 years and have had no case of lumpiness or other complications! If properly done you can have NATURAL looking lips without the overdone look. Find a surgeon in your area who can show you multiple examples of his work and speak with patients he has done.

Lip Augmentation and Fat

I much prefer fillers such as Juvederm over fat for the lips.  Fat tends to be permanent and if you don't like the results or as you age then fat grafting can be a problem.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Potential cons for fat transfer for lip augmentation.

Thank you for your excellent question.  The results of any fat transfer depends on appropriate surgical technique to ensure a smooth and even distribution and volume enhancement.  One possible con is to the diet responsive nature of this fat - if you were to gain weight, so would your lips, and vice versa.  Remaining at your current weight will be very important to maintaining results.  Hope that this helps.