Is it safe to have sex 2 weeks after BA?

I am 2 weeks and 3 days post op and I had sex last night..I woke up feelin good. My breast don't feel any pain but I was on top. My dr didn't specify about when I would be ok to resume sexual activity but he did mention that he didn't want me to workout jst yet. Should I be worried? Will i be ok?

Hello, thank you for your question!  It is best to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for #sixweeks. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. #Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause #latebleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc. Regarding #sexualactivity, try to be careful to not stress your body. I suggest you discuss this with your #BCPS and abide by his recommendations so that your healing is optimal. Best Wishes!

Sex after breast augmentation

Having sex after breast augmentation is fine if you are not too rambunctious.  2 weeks may be a little early, but iof you were/are careful, there is no problem.  More importantly, is that you feel good about your body after your surgery.

Since nothing happened

you shouldn't have to worry... but as mentioned by my colleagues, we all have our own guidelines for when to resume such activities.  Bottom line, if you're accepting of the risks, you can go ahead and do it but it would certainly be prudent to be on the sane side and avoid manhandling your body.

Curtis Wong, MD

Yes...and No!

In my practice, the rule for sex is the same for any physical activity - as long as you are careful, prudent, and use common sense it "should" be safe at two weeks (assuming a typical recovery). What this means is that there is a small, but not insignificant, risk of causing bleeding, bruising, or significant pain. However, life is full of risks, and if you are smart and manage that risk, you will stay out of trouble.

The other issue, which you may not be aware of, is that sex following breast augmentation may result in pregnancy if you rely on an oral contraceptive pill. Both the antibiotics and anti-nausea drugs used during surgery can inactivate oral birth control. We advise patients to use an alternate method of birth control for the remainder of their cycle, to be safe.So be smart, be safe

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

It is best to follow your surgeons suggestions. I tell my patients not to resume activities that will increase the blood pressure or heart rate for at least 3 weeks. You can increase the risk of bleeding in the breast pocket if you get back to those activities too quickly. Sexual activity is just one of those things that no doubt increases the heart rate and blood pressure. At the end of the day you just want to be safe and listen to what your surgeons would like. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Most likely no harm done…

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to specific instructions in regards to returning to activities. Generally speaking, best to limit strenuous activity for at least 2 weeks after breast augmentation surgery, assuming you are doing well and there have been no complications. Care should be taken during the first one to two weeks after surgery not to allow for elevation of heart rate, blood pressure, and/or direct trauma/contact to the chest wall. Again, generally speaking, most my patients are able to return to lower body exercise at the 1 to 2 week post operative mark, wait to lift/run for about 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.   Other exercises, involving the pectoralis major muscles, may resume several months down the line, if not longer. Again, address your specific questions/concerns to your plastic surgeon, who knows your situation best, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.

Sexual activity after Breast Augmentation

From your description it sounds as though you didn't do any harm.  However, any strenuous activity should be avoided for several weeks after BA.  I would ask your PS as he/she knows how your healing is progressing.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  For most people it should be fine to resume sexual activity by two weeks.  Listen to your body, if anything feels uncomfortable then adjust your routine or position.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

When is the correct timing

Thanks for your question.  You should be just fine.  You can also start some very light exercise - walking and stretching.  And make sure to keep your appointment with your plastic surgeon. 

Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Sex 2 weeks after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I recommend my patients wait at least 3 weeks, however, it is always best to speak with your plastic surgeon regarding their post op instructions.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD