How many Zeltiq treatments are recommend on area? and Lipo afterwards?

How many times can you receive Zeltiq treatment on one area? and if it doesn't work , is it possible to get liposuction on the same area? how long should I wait before getting lipo after an unsuccessful Zeltiq treatment?

No M

There is no maximum amount of CoolSculpting treatments for an area.  Each treatment kills about 25% of the fat cells in the area treated.  It is possible to get liposuction on the area if you are not happy with CoolSculpting results, but you may want to learn about all of your options before choosing a treatment.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who offers both CoolSculpting and liposuction to see what is best for you to get the results you are looking for.  

Thank you for your question. You can treat an area as many times as you would like as long as there is enough tissue to fit into the applicator. If you do not like the results, you can definitely get liposuction on the same area. I would recommend waiting at least 3 months as it takes about 9-12 weeks to see the full results of CoolSculpting. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Iloveplastic, me too...It depends. At your initial consultation it is important that you express your goals of therapy to ensure CoolSculpting the best treatment option for you. Ideally your provider will discuss with you different options of fat reduction and based on your examination and goals, recommendations are made. Most commonly one treatment of the area will achieve 25-30 % reduction of fat volume. However, if the area has significant volume then more than one treatment may be beneficial. CoolScultping is non-invasive and non-surgical with no downtime and that is a significant benefit. However, depending what your goals of the therapy are during your initial exam if there is significant volume and/or significant skin laxity, then other treatment options should be discussed such as suction assisted liposuction and /or tummy tuck. If CoolSculpting is performed I would recommend waiting at least three months; perhaps even six months to ensure you have seen all of the results from CoolSculpting.

How many Cool Sculpt Treatments are necessary?

The  number of treatments is directly related to the amount of fat you are trying to improve. Make sure you go to reputable location for your consult so you know if Cool Sculpt is really the best option. In the long run, if you need multiple and repeat treatments perhaps surgery was the better option in the first place. I would go to a Board Certified Surgeon's office for your evaluation to get your options. Our before and after page for cool sculpt gives you some before and after photos with what treatments they had for your education. Hope that helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Number of CoolSculpting Treatments

The number of coolsculpting treatments depends on the volume of fat that there is. On average, most CoolSculpting candidates need two treatments per area but we have also seen patients only require one and others only require three treatments in a single area. It does take three months to see the full effect of coolsculpting on a particular area so I would recommend waiting the 3 month period prior to assessing if additional treatments are needed

Marine Demirjian, MD
Glendale Internist

Fat Removal - Choices, Expectations and Patient Selection

Zeltiq's CoolSculpting has excellent outcomes when used on the right patient who has realistic expectations. If you have bulges that have resisted general exercise or diet and you're not obese or significantly overweight, it's a straight "go to" for specific definable areas.

But it's not a weight loss solution, or even a good procedure for someone who has overall large areas of fat. That's where patient selection is super important.

Unfortunately some practices will promise anything, so you have to do your homework and be honest with yourself.

If you look at the CoolSculpting main website, you'll see examples of people who are good candidates. Anyone who has fat areas that are beyond the accommodation of the system's applicator cups really should look more at liposuction or a weight reduction program - or both.

You're taking out about 25% of the fat layer - NOT 25% of the entire circumference of a waist or thigh. It's easy for people to misunderstand and expect to lose 8 inches off a 36 inch waist, but that's the wrong math.

CoolSculpting does work, and if you know what to expect, you won't be left thinking it didn't. Give it about 8 weeks to be "final". At that time you can retreat and know what your true 2nd starting point is. As for when to undergo liposuction following CoolSculpting, that's an answer best given to you by your surgeon.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD

Lip after Cool Sculpting

Dear iloveplastic, I would ask yourself what your goal is and where you are starting. In my practice our certified RN's are educating clients up front on volume and number of expected treatments. If you are over a BMI of 30, you are most likely more a surgical candidate to start with. High volume reduction will need more treatments. Ideal candidates are at a healthy height and weight with problem areas. Just make sure you go to a reputable place for cool sculpt, in your area I would trust Dr. Stevens office. But, if you've already had multiples and you've waited 3 months since treatments cool sculpting before is not a contraindication to liposuction .

Coolsculpting and Results versus Hi Definiton Liposuction

I suggest liposuction or a hi definition procedure if you want sculpting and contouring.  Coolsculpting is great for problem areas and would require a significant number of procedures if you are looking for body shaping.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Coolsculpting Sessions

The average person will need 2 sessions to see good results, but some may only need 1 session. If liposuction is still something you are considering after coolsculpting there is no contraindication to treating the area after it has healed.
- Dr P

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Number of Zeltiq treatments

It depends on the area being treated and the amount of localized fat in a given region. Small regions may benefit from just 1 treatment but larger amounts of fat may require multiple treatments. 

First st you need to be assessed to see if you are a candidate as liposuction may be the first choice. 

In in general you want to wait 3 to 4 months after the last treatment to determine the result and before engaging in another procedure such as liposuction

All the best
Dr Soni

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician