Is it worth it for me to get labiaplasty, or should I stop worrying/judging myself? Am I a typical candidate? (photos)

I'm just curious, I've always been a little self conscious about my labia's appearance, but I don't know if it's just in my head. I do think they're large, but I'm not sure if they're like, large enough to get surgery on. I would appreciate any input, thank you!

Candidate for Labiaplasty??

You are a beautiful, healthy, aesthetically and sexually attractive woman as you are; there is no reason whatsoever for you to have surgery, UNLESS either the size or asymmetry of your labia are "...a thorn in your side..." and just simply bug and distract you.

IF that is the case, then go for it(!), BUT I counsel you to do your homework: look carefully only for surgeons with lots of experience, who are skilled at both V-wedge and linear/trim procedures (so as to design the best approach for YOUR needs), who do surgery in their offices under LOCAL anesthesia (safer, less expensive, and ONLY experienced skilled surgeons use "local"), and price their surgery fairly. You should plan to spend ~ 4500-$6000 ("out the door," including facility, doc, anesthesia, AND hood-- you shouldn't be charged an extra operative fee for hood). FYI, in our office in Davis, CA, your "out-the-door" fee would be $5000-5500, less $300 RealSelf discount, and less $150 cash discount. The attached weblink shows some typical B&A outcomes...

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Do I need a labiaplasty?

First, let me reassure you that your labia appearance is normal. However there is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

You've heard the bleacher section

and this is entirely a personal decision.  Your anatomy is completely normal.  Can there be a more 'trimmed' look?  Absolutely!  Is this needed?  Not for everyone.  So if its nothing bothering you and not impacting your intimate life, why spend the money, accept the risks, and be celibate for weeks to have this procedure?  And in your area, the prices are very high for a one hour procedure that could be done in the office under local.

Curtis Wong, MD

Is It Worth It For Me To Get Labiaplasty?

Labiaplasty initially was purely a functional surgery mostly carried out by gynecologists for enlarged labia that interfered with sexual intercourse or were so large that they hung outside of bathing suits. 

Today, due to many societal influences, labiaplasty is more often done as a WANT rather than a functional NEED.  Therefore, the decision is truly up to you. 

Your labia fall within a normal range as far as appearance.  However, if the larger labia creates pain or is a functional problem, only you would know that answer. 

In today's world, aesthetics of this portion of the female anatomy has gained traction.  Surgically, your labia could be balanced, and the protruding portion of your labia could be aesthetically reduced. 

If you were my patient and requested a labiaplasty, I would use the wedge technique which is a relatively short procedure with historically excellent results. 

Up to you

There is no correct answer to this question.  Labiaplasty is a personal decision based on how you feel both emotionally and physically.  Your labias are normal and therefore the decision is your to make. Best of luck!

Candidate for Labiaplasty

Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. Basically, this means that it is up to you as to what you think will make you more comfortable in any of these issues. Feel free to look at the video attached here for some further information that may help you consider when determining surgery.

Is it worth it for me to get labiaplasty, or should I stop worrying/judging myself? Am I a typical candidate?

If the redundant (excess) labia tissue causes physical or psychological problems for you, then a labiaplasty is a reasonable procedure to have performed.

Fred Suess, MD

It's all up to you

There's no magic size for a labiaplasty. It's all up to you and your comfort or discomfort. There is certainly zero wrong with your anatomy but if you want smaller labia then the surgery is the solution. Best to go on a consult. Just be very very selective. Make sure you look through the q and a on here and see all of the botched labiaplasties first. Most are GYN trim procedures but some are also from plastic surgeons. Just look at reviews and photos and take your time. 

I am convinced that the extended wedge labiaplasty is the correct operation and the trim is an inferior alternative that is done by surgeons who can't perform a more delicate and elegant operation. You can be the judge. Check out the video above. 

Is it worth it for me to get labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. You are a good candidate for labiaplasty. It purely your personal decision. Please see a board certified PS for evaluation

A personal decision

There is no absolute criterion for another person to tell you regarding this very personal decision. You need to sort this out possibly in an in-person meeting with a prospective surgeon. What is your issue with your privates? Is the problem bothersome enough that surgery might be an anser for you? 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon