Worried about a hematoma? Should I wait, get a 2nd opinion, or proceed with 3 more surgery? (Photo)

I woke up with terrible swelling and high left breast. This breast has had the worst bruising which has improved. My surgeon asked me to keep bandaging myself tightly even after 8 days post op. He saw me on emergency today due to excruciating pain and gave me 2 options either wrap up very tight and suffer with excruciating pain or remove the implant, place gauze inside, cut me again to remove the gauze. Then 3 weeks later cut me again to replace implant. So confused? :( need help.

Doctor Answers 11

Hematoma after breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I am sorry to hear that you have a problem. Given your pictures and symptoms (Pain, significant bruising, and swelling), It is almost certain that you have a hematoma on the right breast. The correct treatment is returning to the operating room to evacuate the hematoma, stop the bleeding, and replace the implant. The option wrapping alone is not a correct treatment because it would not stop the bleeding and the remaining blood product will lead to significant capsular contracture, scaring and asymmetry. I suggest that you get a second opinion on this matter. Good luck.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Worried about a hematoma? Should I wait, get a 2nd opinion, or proceed with 3 more surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for submitting your question. I am sorry your feeling pain and discomfort 8 days after surgery.  Your photo appears to show swelling, asymmetry secondary to a hematoma.  The amount of pain you are describing, I would take you back to the operating room immediately and evacuate the hematoma.  Best Wishes.

Sounds like a hematoma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your story sounds to me just like a post-operative hematoma. You should have the hematoma evacuated and washed out...this will alleviate  your pain. Leaving the blood around your implant will not only be painful, but will increase your risk for implant infection and capsular contracture.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Worried about a hematoma? Should I wait, get a 2nd opinion, or proceed with 3 more surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question!  It does appear on our photo and by description that you have a breast hematoma.  Management consists of prompt evacuation of the clotted blood, identification and control of any bleeding sources, irrigation, and replacement of the implant. Given your pain and potential of inferior results and capsular contracture, it should be done as soon as recognized.  Best wishes! 

Lewis Albert Andres, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Treating breast aug hematoma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It does appear that you have a hematoma. The generally accepted treatment would be done ASAP including implant removal, evacuation of all the blood in the pocket, checking to see if a specific source can be identified and cauterized, and implant reinsertion.
i don't understand the plan you described, are you sure your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon?

Worried about a hematoma? Should I wait, get a 2nd opinion, or proceed with 3 more surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
With this swelling and bruising on 8 days post-op I would seriously consider- re-exploration of this breast. If you have a hematoma- it can be removed and the implant replaced. This should resolve your pain and restore a more acceptable appearance of the breast.

Post op hematoma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I agree. You appear to have bled into the space around your right implant. The bleeding usually continues until the space is filled with blood and bulging in all areas with some surrounding bruising, like your photos demonstrate. This appears to be a post hematoma which needs to be evacuated. This usually requires another sterile OR procedure to go back in through your incision, remove the implant and temporarily put it in a antibiotic/saline solution during surgery, aspirate and rinse out the old blood, find the bleeder if possible and stop it, and then replace the same implant. Without this surgery, you have a greater chance of infection and eventual capsular contracture. 
Speak to your surgeon again about these thoughts that I and others have given you and if things still do not add up for you, get a second opinion. 
Good luck. 

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The hematoma should be evacuated to ease your pain. If it is not treated you will probably get scar tissue around the implant.  The best option is to discuss the options with your surgeon, but bleeding should be stopped. 

Worried about a hematoma? Should I wait, get a 2nd opinion, or proceed with 3 more surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your photos, it appears that you developed a hematoma in your left implant pocket. If there's no communication of this to the outside through your incision, then the pocket and implant are sterile. This needs to be addressed surgically ASAP. I'm not sure what wrapping your chest tightly will do (besides torturing you); this is an ostrich approach putting the head under the sand, hopefully no one would see you. I'm not sure why 3 (?) surgeries. At this point you need to be returned to the operating room, remove the implant and the hematoma, find the bleeder, coagulate it. Wash the implant and implant pocket with antibiotics, place the implant back, and close the incision over a drain. Most likely, you will do fine. If you trust your plastic surgeon discuss this with him/her or seek a second opinion. Good luck.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a hematoma. The signs are obvious that include ecchymosis, swelling, and pain. The implant is elevated as well. Numbness in the arm is also a telltale sign of a bleeder. In my practice, I would immediately explore in the operating room under general anesthesia, evacuate, control bieeding, and drain. The implant does not need to be removed. Best of luck .

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.