Does the width of the alar or tissue limit how me to how much I can reduce to my alar base?

I wanted to get an alar base reduction to reduce the width of my nose by 1 cm (5 mm on each side). If I had a thicker ala or thicker tissue would that prevent me from being able to accomplish my goal? (I understand how some say that it might not fit my face, but that is not what i am asking) I measured my ala (not professionaly) and it is 5 mm thick on each side. Is that too thick?

Alar Base Reduction

The best recommendation is to consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can also help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Can't Answer Your Question

As you can see, you are not going to get an answer that will suit you or be specific to what you think you need. As I said many posts ago, you'll need to actually have a consultation with a surgeon. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Alar Base Reduction

There are many ways to narrow the base of the nose. These techniques are especially useful in the black rhinoplasty. The alar bases may be dissected free, floor of nose tissue deepithelialized and the alar bases advanced with permanent suture.  The advancement can be limited by the thickness of the alar bases. In which case an alar base reduction with the incision along the apex of the ala can be performed to narrow the actual alar base tissue. Find a plastic surgeon facile with these techniques and see if they might apply to you.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon