Weight loss before or after liposuction?

Hi Doctors. I am wanting to go for liposuction for a stubborn pocket of fat I am carrying. My questions is this: Should I loose the 10kgs extra that I am still carrying from my pregnancy before doing the lipo or should I do the lipo now and then loose the weight? I ask this because I have leave now in December so I have time to recover before going back to work so it make sense but in the long run I would rather do whatever is best for my body and results. Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Weight loss before or after liposuction

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you lose the weight before your liposuction procedure. If you area able to reach your goal weight and this is a weight that you can maintain, you should see a very good result from a liposuction procedure. 

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before liposuction is best.

Ideal candidates for liposuction are healthy adults who are close to their target weight and who are able to maintain that weight. You’ll experience the best liposuction results from dropping the weight before you have the procedure. It’s important to set yourself a reasonable weight loss goal so that you can maintain a stable weight and remain healthy. Liposuction doesn’t require significant leave from work, so it makes sense to first invest energy in your weight loss and then schedule the procedure when your weight is stable. Depending upon the nature of your work, you may be able to return to your job within 3 to 4 days of getting liposuction.

Liposuction is going to get rid of the fat whether you lose the weight before or after.

Liposuction is such a great and effective method at removing the fat that most patients will get the lipo 1st and continue to diet and exercise afterwards to improve the results even more.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight loss

Thank you for your question and photo.  It is advisable for you to reach your goal weight prior to undergoing lipo.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

You appear to be close to your ideal body weight, so I think you could achieve a very nice cosmetic result from liposuction now. However, if you are determined to lose more weight, then I would wait until you have reached your goal. Good luck!

#WeightLossBefore/AfterLipo

Ideally you should be close to your stable weight for the most predictable results. I tell most of my patients depending on their height and weight that if they are within 10-15 pounds of their stable weight it doesn't make that much difference. Hope that helps you. 

I appreciate your question.

Always best to be at a BMI less than 30 or 10 lbs within your goal weight and stable at that weight for 3 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Liposuction

Each individual is different and I believe in your case I would go ahead and have Lipo now. From the pictures you may be a better candidate for a tummy tuck but I may be wrong and would have to assess you in person. 

This question comes up often when one is attempting to lose weight but has not yet fully succeeded. I tell my patients that if they think they can get to a lower weight and maintain it, that is a good goal especially since some of them will not need liposuction at this healthy maintainable weight. On the other hand, others will still have the fat pocket and will need to proceed.. If you have always had that stubborn area despite your weight then it is not unreasonable to proceed now but if there's a chance that you will lose your problem area at a healthy and maintainable weight then why rush into having the surgery.

This discussion should be part of your consultation with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to help you in making and arriving at the best decision for you. Best of luck.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Weight loss

Hi and thanks for your question and posted photo. In general it is better to be in your ideal weight before any body contour surgery. Under 30 body mass index is known to be safe and good results can be achieved. You look like a very good candidate for tummy tuck and lipo in flanks if wanted. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Milla

Hector Milla, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon