Two weeks post double eyelid surgery - eyes extremely uneven (Photo)

I am two weeks post-op, and my right eye is dramatically smaller than the left, with an uneven crease. The right eye was extremely swollen/bruised immediately after surgery, and I was unable to open that eye on the first day. Over time it has opened slowly, but I still have difficulty opening the eye. Prior to surgery, both my eyes were even. Will this problem go away with time, or is this abnormal? will I need revision surgery? I have included before and after photos. Thank you!

Uneven eyes after double eyelid surgery

thank you for your pre and post op photos. Clearly something happened on the right that was different from the left. I would speak to your surgeon about this. Whatever happened is likely no fault of the surgeons as we sometimes get into unexpected bleeding. This will improve with time as you are at 2 weeks, but I would not set your expectation that it will be exactly equal. I would wait at least 3-6 months and if you cannot live with the unevenness, it can be revised. My best guess is that any residual unevenness will only be perceptible to you and your surgeon, however. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric double lids

are evident but what motivated you to even have surgery in the first place.  Without knowing what your goals were, its difficult to comment as to what can be done.  Regardless, at this point, you must heal first and then evaluate your results and then, with your surgeon, see if solutions are available to you.

Curtis Wong, MD

You are still very early in the healing process. I would consult with you surgeon for your treatment options.

Uneven Eyes?

Thank you for your question and photo! I would go back and consult with your doctor about the outcome of your surgery.  There may be a way to correct the problem.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates

Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Duble eyelid surgery

The differences are clearly visible.  It sounds like you had some bleeding on that side. The bleeding/swelling clearly slowed down your healing process and may have affected the suturing. As the swelling and bruising have resolved the appearance has improved but you still have a difference.  YOU WILL CONTINUE TO SEE IMPROVEMENT.... but most likely will be left with asymmetry.  I recommend letting all the swelling resolve(on both sides).  Wait for everything to "soften up" before deciding on on a revision.  Best to wait about 6 months.  In the meantime talk this over with your surgeon.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

At two weeks, you should not rush to judge the surgery.

Having said that, if there is a problem here, it will be on the left side not the right.  It looks like the crease on the left side is too high and the tendon in the eyelid is slipping. I am also troubled by the loss of eyelash support that is demonstrated in the before and after images and the change in eyebrow position.  The upper eyelids are slightly ptotic but this can be the result of residual swelling from the surgery. Of course symmetry is absolutely critical for double fold surgery.  You need to be patient here.  There should be no urgently performed surgery.  Will you need to have your eyelids revised?  I think the answer is yes.  This should not be done before 4 to 6 months of healing.  I suspect that you may need the a very specialized revision to lower the crease, repair the ptosis and the lash ptosis.  Fortunately, this type of revision is available in Los Angeles.