Where can viscereal fat be located?

I'm having liposuction done later this year. I've read up a lot on viscereal fat and every where I read and all the pictures that I've seen all talk about viscereal fat being the fat that is underneath the abdominal wall. I'm having lipo/ w fat transfer later this year on my arms back and belly. My fattest areas are my flanks & tricep areas. Is it possible to have viscereal fat anywhere else other than the abdominal area? I really want my back fat gone.

Where can viscereal fat be located?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Visceral Fat Location

Hello 'j.bella', thanks for your question.  Yes, visceral fat is intra-abdominal fat which is typically omentum and fatty extensions from your bowel and other organs inside your abdominal wall.  This fat cannot be liposuctioned for risk of perforating critical structures.  I have noticed some patients have a lot of visceral fat, and some have fat elsewhere that can be addressed with liposuction.  It is critical that you seek consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon who knows the difference rather than some chop shop discount vendor.  Let us know if you wish to stop in for an evaluation.  Good luck!
-Dr.92660

Visceral fat

Thank you for your question.  Visceral fat is located only inside the abdominal wall around your internal organs and is only apparent in the front of the abdomen (belly area).  Your liposuction procedure should be able to correct the excess fat you carry in your back, flanks and triceps areas. Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Visceral Fat

Visceral fat is located inside your body around organs.  It is not located, you can see this in patients who have a protruding belly.  I suggest a formal consultation to determine what type of fat you have, this type of fat is not removed with liposuction.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Where can viscereal fat be located?

The viscera are the organs within the abdomen, i.e. the stomach, intestines, liver, etc.  Visceral fat is the fat within the abdominal cavity that surrounds these organs.  Visceral fat, when excessive, causes your abdomen to appear like a pregnant belly.  It is fat that cannot be removed surgically for cosmetic purposes.  Many patients come with this problem thinking that they can benefit from liposuction and we have to spend some time explaining this to them.  Fat that can be treated with liposuction is subcutaneous fat, i.e. fat that is under the skin.  Generally, women accumulate fat under the skin and that is why they respond to liposuction.  Men on the other hand usually accumulate visceral fat and usually are not suitable candidates for liposuction.  Of course there are many variations.  Hope that helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Visceral fat - where is it?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Visceral fat is the fat around the viscera - the liver, stomach, intestines, lungs, spleen, etc.
  • The viscera are in the chest, abdomen and pelvis.
  • Flank fat can usually be removed with a very good result. Triceps fat if over the back of the arm, can also usually be removed with a very nice result.
  • Be sure to discuss with your own surgeon where the liposuction will be done and what to expect.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Visceral Fat

Hello,This fat is ONLY located inside the organ cavity and can not be removed by any cosmetic surgical procedure. Fat that is accessible to liposuction is subcutaneous fat.  People with too much visceral fat have a protuberant belly that can sometimes feel hard if there is also little subcutaneous fat. Some people have an excess of both. This is easily determined on physical examination.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Visceral fat

viscera is Latin for internal organs.

So visceral fat is simply fat surrounding your internal organs.
Visceral fat cannot be removed surgically.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Where can viscereal fat be located?

Thank you for your question and for having done your research in preparation of your procedure.  Visceral fat is a term used for the fat located deep to your abdominal muscles and which encases your internal organs.  This is the only visceral fat within the body.  Hope this helps.

Visceral vs. Subcutaneous Fat

Good question.  The visceral fat that people refer to commonly is stored in the peritoneal cavity surrounding the intestines and stomach.  It responds to diet and exercise and cannot be safely liposuctioned.  Other areas of the body have very small amounts of fat around vessels and between muscle layers but this is of no consequence.  Your real challenge in the back region after liposuction is the presence of possibly lax skin.Good luck with your procedure. Jon A Perlman MD FACSCertified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD