Vaser or tummy tuck? (Photo)

Hi, I'm 37 years old, 5'5, 110 pounds, a mother of 3 (all c-sections), I'm bothered by the excess fat around my waist and how my stomach looks when I bend over. I would love to wear a bikini again and form fitting clothes. I've been given 3 different answers by 3 different surgeons. First was a mini tuck, second a modified tuck and the third surgeon said tuck isn't necessary and vaser would be used to remove fat/sculpt abs/ tighten the skin. Which procedure would you recommend? Thank You!

Vaser or tummy tuck?

I am afraid that neither a tummy tuck or a Vaser will improve the elasticity of you skin. I do think the Vaser is a nice option as you do not have excess skin when standing normally. I do not think a removal of the skin folds when you bend is possible as that depends on the skin quality and the pregnancy has changed that.

Tummy tuck

In your case, I don't think the scar of a tummy tuck would be worthwhile.  Lipo by Vaser or any other method is unlikely to tighten the skin and could leave ripples or dents in the skin.  You've got a great looking tummy!  I would leave it alone.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Vaser or tummy tuck?

I would have to examine you in person.  Sometimes, no surgery is the best answer.

Young, mother of 3, tummy

Hello TMC278-
As we age and especially after three children, skin loses its elasticity. This means that it doesn't stay smooth when compressed like you are doing in your photos when you flex your abdomen. Other than the appearance of your tummy skin in this position, your tummy looks fantastic...meaning that it could not look better (with or without a tummy tuck). I am not sure the benefits of a tummy tuck outweigh the longer scar needed to improve the wrinkling up into your upper abdomen. 
Think on these things and discuss with your plastic surgeon. 
Good luck

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck

It looks like you have little body fat, making your concern more about loose skin than excess fat. Fort his reason, I think something to firm up loose skin would be more appropriate for you, which would most likely be a tummy tuck or laser skin tightening treatment. I would suggest a mini tummy tuck, since most of the loose skin appears to be under your belly button.

Vaser or tummy tuck?

There are a variety of surgical procedures or combinations that can produce good results in patients with abdominal laxity, depending on multiple factors including their anatomy and degree of desired improvement: A mini tummy tuck, an umbilical float modified tummy tuck, a full abdominoplasty, Vaser. Each of the tummy tuck procedures can be performed with or without liposuction. They produce different degrees of improvement.
The best long term cosmetic result will be with a variation of a tummy tuck, not Vaser.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

TT or Lipo

Hi, thanks so  much for your photos (great pics by the way) and for your inquiry, this is a very common question, although many women are afraid of the scar that a TT leaves, it gives a much better result in every way. Please make sure that you and your Plastic Surgeon are on the same page and discuss thoroughly all your concerns, options and expectations. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Respectfully,
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty vs Liposuction to Sculpt the Abdomen

Thank you for the great photos.  When you are in the upright position, it does not look like you really need any procedure, however it is difficult to judge your skin elasticity.  When you are pinching the skin it is obvious that you have very stretchy skin, and given the hooding of your belly button, it does appear that a tummy tuck would benefit you more so than vaser.  Also, given the 3 pregnancies and the photo where you are tightening your muscles, a tummy tuck will also address the rectus diastasis.

Best thing to do is to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated by a good physical exam.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Tummy tuck considerations

A tummy tuck would improve the mild skin laxity, moderate muscle laxity and would improve the shape of your umbilicus. Liposuction would be an options for you, but would only reduce the very mild fattiness along your abdomen, and not address the issues listed above.

Vaser vs. Tummy tuck

The choice of procedures depends on what you hope to accomplish. When you're standing up straight, your abdomen looks great! It's smooth, tight and flat. For your upright appearance, you'd need to to nothing or perhaps some minor lipo/Vaser. 

What I suspect bothers you, however, is the wrinkled and loose appearance when you slouch or bend over. First, please understand that there will ALWAYS be some wrinkles and laxity in those positions, since the laxity is necessary for you to be able to stand upright (just like your elbow skin is tight when you flex the elbow, but very wrinkled when you straighten it). That being said, the skin can certainly be tightened. I doubt that you'd be happy with any surgical procedure that doesn't REMOVE and significantly tighten your skin, judging by the photos you've shown (including the pinching photo). Your plastic surgeon would need to assess your skin and abdomen in person, but the skin quality, with the numerous fine wrinkles and folds, wouldn't be as smooth as you probably want without a tummy tuck. Whether this would be a full tummy tuck, a mini tummy tuck, or a tummy tuck with an "umbilical float" can be discussed with the plastic surgeon who examines you in person. 

Good luck!

Andres Taleisnik, MD