Upper lip changed shape after rhinoplasty? (Photos)

I had my surgery last sunday, and when the doctor removed the cast today i realized my upper lip sticks out more to the front of my face than before. Is this a result of swelling? Will it go back to its natural shape? Or will it remain the same? It looks very bad and i really hope its because of the swelling.

Lip Swelling Soon After a Rhinoplasty is Both Normal and Expected

Swelling 5 days after a rhinoplasty is completely normal.  The swelling oftentimes changes the shape of the upper lip temporarily.  Although it will take 6-9 months for the swelling in the nose to resolve, the swelling in the upper lip should go away over the next 2-6 weeks. Don't worry. relax.  Take a breath.  You are probably going to love your nose once all is said and done. Good luck.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip change after rhinoplasty

Based on your description, this is most likely from swelling, which will subside with time.  I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  Also, only your surgeon can explain what kind of technique he/she used, which may further explain the swelling of the upper lip.

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper lip changes immediately after rhinoplasty

Changes to the upper lip are common immediately after rhinoplasty. A lot of the swelling in the nose gets pulled by gravity and sits in the upper lip. This swelling will go away with time.

There are certain techniques that can change the upper lip. Patients with smiles that pull the corners of their mouth upward and patients who develop a horizontal crease when they smile are also prone to have more changes in the upper lip. This can be seen by taken a photograph while you are smiling. Your surgeon should discuss these potential changes with you. Any concerns in the healing process should be brought to your surgeon's attention. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Upper lip higher after rhinoplasty

Hi Luvjelena,

Thanks for your question and photos. Its is likely swelling. I would recommend your visit your surgeon and discuss what they think as maybe something was done that can be corrected with just massage. But your nose is certainly more upturned which has pulled some of the skin from your lip upwards. Seek advice from your Rhinoplasty surgeon. They should be best suited to answer your question.

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@upperlip @rhinoplasty @docmata #drcarlosmata

Upper Lip Change After Rhinoplasty

In all likelihood, your lip has changed due to swelling. This swelling can be persistent, and may take a month or more to subside.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty and Swollen Lip

Thank you for your question about recovery from rhinoplasty.

Yes, in general, at one week you still probably have some swelling contributing to a swollen lip.

For specific questions like this and about your recovery, it is generally best to speak with your doctor or doctor’s representative – such as his or her nurse, or the physician on call for the practice.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Obviously, if you think that you are having a medical emergency or other serious problem, you should call 911 and/or go to your nearest emergency room.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS