Unhappy with visible scar after lower blephoraplasty (Photo)

9 months ago I had a lower blephoraplasty done (age 36). I'm very concerned about my scar, especially on the left eye, which I feel was positioned wrong. I have marked out a green line where my scar is located and a red where I believe it should have been positioned. I'm also left with a cross scar at the beginning of the eye from the stitches. Is there anything I can do to sort this out?

Lower Lid Scar

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. It seems as though your scar was lower than intended. It is possible to improve the scar with laser resurfacing or have the scar moved higher if you have enough skin, but it will be complex. I recommend consulting with your surgeon or seek other advice from experienced board-certified surgeons who can assess you in person. I wish you the best of luck!  

You have two problems here.

You have a infracillary incision scar that was not designed to hug the lower eyelid lashes and is more visible than ideal.  It also appears that the lower eyelid has been pulled below the curvature of the eye.  Fixing this is complex.  Can the scar be raised?  Can the position of the lower eyelid be fixed.  The answer is absolutely yes but the repair is very complex.  Laser resurfacing to improve the lower eyelid scar in my opinion will not be effective and can further compromise the position of the lower eyelid.  The scar will continue to improve to some degree but it will not disappear.  A personal consultation is needed to assess your lower eyelid resources for reconstruction. By lifting the midface vertically on an ePTFE rim implant, skin and soft tissue can be recruited into the lower eyelid and this can be used to raise the incision.

Scar after lower eyelid surgery

You are exactly right with were you drew the your line. The incision can be placed in the proper place and the old scar excised with the excision but there would be risk of causing an ectropian(an out turning of the eyelid, it looks like you already have a mild one). I would use vitamin e cream or palmers cocoa butter on the area and then re- evaluate the area after 6 months and hopefully it will improve enough so you would not  need anything done.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bleph scar

Your scar is a little low.  It looks like you may have also lost the pigment in the scar which is why it is more noticable.  If you have enough skin, the scar can be moved up closer to the lashes (your red line) so it will be less visible.  If you don't have enough skin, some laser resurfacing can often help to blend the scar into the surrounding tissue. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid scar revision

There may or may not be a good idea to revise the lower eyelid scar. Nobody can tell you for sure without examining you. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lower lid scar?

Your scar can be removed and the skin advanced upward for a better and less noticeable scar.You can still end up with hypo pigmentation of the line. See your surgeon or seek an opinion from a very experienced surgeon.