What to do with unhappy facelift and cheek lift? I get married in four months. I am 3 months post op. (photos)

I had a facelift, cheeklift , fat removal from cheeks, fat added to nasal fold. I feel I don't look good, I look older and we spent 30 thousand. My face is bottom heavy, lumpy and my PS says it will improve a little where the lumps are around the fold, but I was expecting too much and he also said I look better than my before pictures. I don't! He is really only willing to give cortisone injections in lumps. He thinks the result looks good. Here are comparative pics. What do I do?

Getting Married in Four Months and Unhappy with Facelift

Dear LAShrimp, Your before photograph shows to much volume in the cheek area and your after photograph shows to much volume in the lower third of your face or as you state "bottom heavy." Possibly a moderate "natural looking" amount of filler in the malar region will help balance out your facial aesthetics. However a  consultation and examination is truly needed to determine the best course of action. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Lumps

You need to wait at least 6 months before considering any alternatives or treatments.  I would not recommend any steroids being injected into your face.  A profile picture would help in evaluating your situation.  It is for you to decide what looks good.  I would be very specific as to the goals that were discussed before surgery.

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy

Thank you for your question and photos
I do agree that some of your concerns will get better with time and might be improved with small amounts of low dose Kenalog. It is possible that you are still swollen. You had a lot of work done and the contours of your face will continue to improve. To my eye you have a softer more natural look then your pre-op photos
I think your face is more balanced and you don't look older but less dramatic. In the before photos it looks as if your were using fillers to hold off on surgery and you made the right choice
Give it a little more time and you may see some significant improvement
Congratulations on your upcoming big day. Im sure you will look great
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

Miscommunication with your surgeon

may  have led to the results you have that don't match your expectations.  Your results are considered good but what did you want when you were discussing the benefits of the procedures you were going to have?  Your lips will settle down if you had fat grafting to them.  Time will certainly help soften things and its great that you planned ahead and have plenty of time to recover before your wedding day.  I'm confident you will be good by then and that no one there will appreciate anythings amiss.

Curtis Wong, MD

Face lift - not happy at all with look

Thank you for asking about your face and neck lift.
  • I am so sorry you are disappointed.
  • Your surgeon's idea of VERY dilute cortisone injections in the lumps seems reasonable.
  • And I suspect you are still swollen and things will improve over the next 3 months.
  • I think you do look better in some ways - and this will become more evident in time.
  • I would advise against doing more - it will risk making things worse.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Unhappy with Facelift and Cheek Lift

Your appearance will probably improve as swelling decreases and healing progresses. I would not recommend Cortisone injections because it is possible that the irregular contour may be made worse. I need to examine your face and review your operative report before making any suggestions.

Unhappy with face lift results what to do?

Unhappy with face lift results what to do? The swelling will go down over the next 3 to 9 months. Do not have Cortizone injections as these often make things worse and not better. See a very experienced revision facelift surgeon for reassurance and any further possible treatment.

Crisis facelift revision?

This patient who is getting married in four months had a facelift with fat graft injection to the nasolabial creases three months ago. She states that she does not look better and has returned to her plastic surgeon for help. The photographs show fullness to the nasolabial creases and lower face with a loss of the normal facial contours (a triangular or oval shaped face of youth). Unfortunately one of the problems associated with fat graft is the unpredictability. In other is its lack of reversal and semi permanence. In some instances these can be viewed as vital properties but in this particular instance it is not. For obvious reasons I am reluctant to use fat grafting but instead rely more heavily on other forms of re-volumizing portions of the face. Perhaps a limited amount of life of section in the nasolabial creases would help. I would also suggest the possibility of adding to the volume in the malar area of the face through some other form of the filler material. You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon and I would suggest seeking another opinion.

Richard O. Gregory, MD