Undergoing revision due to excess skin/tissue/"dog ears" under breasts (Photo)

My surgeon plans to perform an in-office skin excision (removing a small triangle/ellipse) with another vertical incision instead of revision with a horizontal incision. I am concerned about the final result with this course action...vertical vs. horizontal incision, but have been assured this will rectify my problem and that the new scar will not extend beyond a bra or bikini top.

Revision of Vertical or Lollipop Breast Lift?

This is a classic sort of problem that can occur with a vertical or lollipop type mastopexy. The standard repair is to do a small horizontal excision so as not to further lengthen the scar. This would result in a small horizontal scar which would be extremely well hidden. It is mystifying to me why your surgeon would not want to deal with it in this way.

Scar Revision

I think you are wise to be worried. Your dogear is already below the fold and further vertical excision will go even lower. Once you have that done where the scar goes even lower, there is no going back, it will be there forever.The standard revision of this problem is a horizontal excision that leaves a small scar in the fold. Unfortunately you may need to see someone else as the standard vertical lift scar is designed to end above the fold just to prevent this problem, not at the fold as your does. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Undergoing revision due to excess skin/tissue/"dog ears" under breasts

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... You have good results, you can also get a revision to get rid of your dog ears, maybe an LJ scar will be good for you. Consult with your surgeon to see what's best.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Revision after breast surgery

Hello, in cases of a small standing cone or dog ear at the lower end of a breast lift scar, I typically will remove it with a small horizontally oriented incision.  However, if find that in some cases a small extension of the existing scar in the form of a "J" also works well.  If you are worried about the surgical plan I would suggest having another discussion with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question and photos. I agree with you regarding further vertical excision of the small dog ears at the bases of your breasts. You have a nice shape and this is an easy correction under local anesthesia, but I would propose a horizontal incision and liposuction of the small fat roll to cause skin adherence to the chest wall. With a vertical lift, the inframammary fold rises as opposed to an anchor lift where it descends. This is a classic mistake done by surgeons learning this technique. I would strongly advise against a vertical correction. Good luck.

Vertical Breast Lift Incision

I am trying to understand what your surgeon is going to do.  If he is taking an ellipse in a horizontal direction along the crease then that would be the preferred treatment.  Or as you may be describing, taking a triangle and lifting the lower portion of the vertical incision to hide it transversely in the crease with be essentially the same thing as taking an ellipse in the horizontal direction.

An excision in the vertical direction will only lengthen your scar onto your abdominal area further.

You may need to discuss this further with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Scar

Thank you for the question and photos and your present scar is already too long so I would carefully get an explanation from your surgeon what he plans to do to keep it from lengthening

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Revision of Breast Lift

Revision of #breast implant and lift #cosmeticsurgery may be needed for:asymmetry, continued ptosis, implant malposition as well as all of the other reasons needed for breast implant revision surgeon.

At times the #mastopexy will need to be changed from a periareola to a lollipop lift to get a more powerful lift. It will be best to check with your plastic surgeon in pre-op consultation to find the specific placement of your scars and where they will end up after final healing. It is best that you are happy with what the intended final result will look like before scheduling the procedure.

Vertical breast lift touch-up - vertical or horizontal scar?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift touch-up.

• If your surgeon feels he can remove the skin excess without extending the vertical scar, that is fine.
  • However your vertical incision is already a little low - I wouldn't want to see it any longer.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS