Do I need to get a tummy tuck? Or Will It go away on its own? (photo)

Tummy tuck or nothing

From your picture, this will not get better "on its own" even if you do 1000 sit ups/day.  However, doing sit ups are fantastic for the underlying muscle, but will do nothing for the overlying skin and fat.  In my opinion, a combination of a tummy tuck AND liposuction would be ideal.

Tummy Tuck

Hi there, thanks for the question.  A photo of your full abdomen would give me a better idea of what procedure is best for you.  Have you recently lost weight or are you still losing weight?  You do have excess skin of the lower abdomen which can be addressed with a full abdominoplasty, possibly a mini.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to get the most accurate answers.  Good luck!

Dr. Michelle Spring

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

From your photo, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture.  With the skin contracture component of the Vaser, you may not need a Tummy Tuck.

Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate

From the picture it appears you would benefit from a tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck.  There are many options for you which will depend on your history (pregnancies, weight fluctuations, previous surgeries. etc.)

A through consultation with an experienced surgeon will clarify the differences and your options easily.  The surgeon will give you options and guide you so you can achieve your best possible result and achieve your goals.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.  

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Candidate For Tummy Tuck

Without knowing the full details of your situation, I can provide you with some information that will help you determine whether your are a proper candidate for tummy tuck. 

Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) is a plastic surgery procedure designed to flatten the abdomen by removing excess skin and fat, and to tighten the abdominal wall. Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them.

Abdominoplasty candidates have:

·       excess abdominal skin which may sag

·       a disproportionate or protruding abdomen

·       weakened or separated abdominal muscles

·       excess fat concentrated in the abdomen

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity, family traits, age, immobility.

There is a video here that will tell you a little more about tummy tuck procedure and incision options as well, so that you can consider all of your options. Best of luck to you!

Tummy Tuck

You need to get a tummy tuck. There is no other way to tighten that skin. You look like you are in good shape otherwise - you will get a nice result. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

That's not going to go away...

You will likely need some form of skin excision -- either a mini tummy tuck or a full. Liposuction will likely not satisfy you.  See a plastic surgeon that is a member of either the ASPS or the ASAPS and see what they say.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal liposuction for male patients #plasticsurgery

Consider tumescent liposuction to treat abdominal fattiness. Male patients without substantial skin laxity do see some skin retraction after liposuction and I suspect this might be a good option for you.

Do I need a tummy tuck?

Few of the bad things that affect your tummy after weight changes or pregnancy "go away."  In a face-to-face examination you can be evaluated for a tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck or possibly liposuction depending upon your needs and findings at the examination.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to review options.  The video linked to above will provide you additional information.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy tuck or will it go away on its own?

It is not possible to say of the excess skin and fat on your tummy will go away on its without more information and a physical exam. How old are you ? Have you had kids? It is best for you to see a Board certified plastic surgeon to make these determinations.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers