Tummy tuck recovery. Is it OK to take walks outside? I'm 5 days post-op.

I had a tummy tuck, 5 days ago, I'm feeling pretty well, I walking around the house for excersice..still have my drain in.just wanted to know if it OK to take walks outside...an when am I clear of blood clot...

Walking after a Tummy Tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I am glad you are doing so well post-op. Walking outside should not be a problem at all, unless your surgeon instructed you otherwise. I recommend double-checking with your surgeon and I wish you the best of luck!

Ok to walk outside 5 days after TT

Congrats, sounds like you are doing fantastic. Talk to your surgeon about their recommendations. In my opinion, walking outside will be great for you in many ways. Just remember, don't overdue it. I tell my patients to walk at a normal pace so their blood pressure or heart rate doesn't increase. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Can I Walk Outside After A Tummy Tuck?

The fact that you're asking this question is a great sign! Unless it's against your plastic surgeon's instructions and unless there's some type of inclement weather that would prevent you from walking outside, go for it! The fresh air should do some good and will get you out of the house. To decreases the risk of blood clots, you should have been walking and doing calf exercise right after your procedure, unless you were directed otherwise by your surgeon. Walking helps to decrease the risk of blood clots. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Thank you for your question, glad to hear that you are feeling well. Not only is this okay, it is a great idea to get up, get moving, and walk around. This is an extremely important step in your overall recovery. It also minimizes the risk of blood clots after surgery. Best of luck to you!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Walking after tummy tucks

Walking is great because it keeps the circulation in your legs going and can reduce the likelihood of clot formation in the legs. Check with your plastic surgery about activity restrictions. Best, MMT

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. it is always good to walk right after surgery but it depends a bit where you live to see if walking outside is recommendable for you. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tummy tuck

I would recommend that you consult with your surgeon seeing as they are the person who knows your background, medical history and your surgery best. I generally tell my patients to start walking the day after surgery, even just for 5 or 10 minutes at a time to help blood circulation. Every patient recovers differently and at different speeds but I tell my patients to wait, at minimum, six weeks before easing back into their regular fitness routine. However, realize that your body may require some time to return to prior strength. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. To reduce swelling, a compression garment will be worn for about 4 weeks post op. To help promote blood circulation, you will be encouraged to get out of bed and take short brief walks. Most patients find they are able to return to work and driving in 2 weeks and exercise in 6 weeks. If you have any concerns contact your board certified plastic surgeon and continue to follow their post-op instructions.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD