How do I know if a tummy tuck is the best option for me? (Photo)

I had a baby four months ago so naturally my body has changed a bit. I contacted a doctor via email to ask about Hi def lipo and the doctor told me a tummy tuck may be my best option. Since the baby my skin is a little soft on my stomach I have a few stretch marks (which isn't the end of the world to me). My stomach muscles however are still tight and together under the fat. A tummy tuck is not a surgery I particularly want, it's a last resort kind of thing. Is a tummy tuck my best/only option?

Tummy tuck

your tummy really isn't bad at all, and it may not be worth the scars of a tummy tuck.  Also if you plan on morechildren you should not have a tummy tuck.  The problem with lipo however is that ripples or dents are very common on the abdomen and may not be worth the risk, even with so called hi def lipo.

How do I know if a tummy tuck is the best option for me?

Thank you for the question.I don't think that a tummy tuck is a great option for you. A tummy tuck removes excess skin and tighten the underlying abdominal wall. It doesn't appear that you have much excess skin, and your tummy appears flat. You're still only four months out from having your baby. You're still very early and your body will continue to change.My recommendation would be to wait a full year after the birth of your baby. If there are areas of excess fat, and the skin over the top is elastic enough to rebound, then you could consider liposuction. However, I doubt the you'll need any surgery at all.

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

It appears you have some loose skin which would benefit from a tummy tuck. However an exam in person is the only way to know for sure. Watch this brief video for more information.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummytuck or high DEF lipo - which is my best option?

Thank you for your question. It looks like you have loose skin with stretch marks following your pregnancy which is to be expected. It's more than likely that you also may have some degree of abdominal weakening and stretching as well. In this case, more sit ups will not improve your skin or strengthen your abdominal wall.  Your best option, due to your particular findings, is a tummy tuck. This will give you the flattest and tightest belly area possible.  Unfortunately, the lesser procedure won't be able to give you what you want. Good luck!

Sean T. Lille, MD

TT or Lipo

Thank you for the question and photos but the most accurate answer would come after an examination so go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and become informed.
Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

When the skin elasticity has been damaged to the point you have stretch marks, liposuction will only leave the skin looser as it has lost its ability to shrink. You may be one of the few candidates for the mini TT procedure. It would require an exam to know. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question and photos. I'm not sure why you were told that you are not a candidate for VASER Hi Def Lipo. Based on your photos, you seem to be an excellent candidate. If during a physical examination it is determined that you need a tummy tuck, this can be done through a small C-section type incision with full muscle plication using specialized instrumentation at the time of the VASER Hi Def. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Tummy tuck vs liposuction

Tummy tucks are necessary when the skin is loose or the deep layer (fascia) is loose.There are man different types of tummy tucks now available in some practices.You should definitely consult with plastic surgeons and see what your options are.

Brent Moelleken, MD

It is difficult to be precise without better pictures and a physical exam, but you would not appear to be a candidate for abdominoplasty.  You may not be a candidate for anything surgical (again depending on exam, your desires, willingness to accept possible downsides, etc.) but if anything, I would look at liposuction.  You need to be evaluated in person.  Good luck.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

You don’t appear to be a tummy tuck candidate.

Congratulations on your baby! Judging from your photos, there’s nothing about your stomach appearance that could be improved with a tummy tuck. A tummy tuck removes loose, excess abdominal skin and can repair separated abdominal muscles, and neither of these issues seem to apply in your case. I understand you’re concerned about the soft skin on your stomach, but I suggest you give yourself a few more months to recover from your pregnancy. If you’re not satisfied with your stomach’s appearance in several months, nonsurgical body contouring may help to improve your skin laxity.