Tummy tuck with lipo and muscle repair.

Hello I just had a tummy tuck with lipo an muscle repair... is it OK to take a walk outside..

Resuming activity after tummy tuck and lipo

Thank you very much for your question, and congratulations on your recent tummy tuck. Following surgery, it is good to get up and walk as soon as you are physically able. However, more strenuous activities, heavy lifting, and vigorous exercise should be put off for four to six weeks. Your operating surgeon will have his/her own protocol for resuming physical activities following their abdominoplasty procedure. I recommend contacting your surgeon, as they can provide the best advice based on your unique situation, the progression of healing, and the technique performed. 

Post TT activity

yes walking is fine early.  Just avoid excessive or strenuous activity.  Usually 4-6 weeks until back to your baseline active status.  But, follow up with your surgeon

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Activity after surgery

This question is best answered by your surgeon, as he/she knows the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through recovery.  It will depend how far you want to walk, how recent your surgery was performed and how your recovery is going.  If it's a short walk to just get some fresh air, it should be fine.

Camille Cash, MD

Tummy tuck with lipo and muscle repair

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing. In my office, patients are encouraged to start walking the day of the surgery. As long as they feel steady, and have someone with them, a gentle walk outside is encouraged. Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Exercise after surgery

A little more information about your recovery would be helpful. How far out from surgery are you? Do you still have drains in? If you have had your drains removed and are feeling well enough, it is completely alright to go for short walks. I wouldn't suggest anything too far at first, you don't want to over do it. Good luck with recovery.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Walking after a Tummy Tuck

Hello and thank you for your question! Please follow up with your surgeon regarding on post-op instructions. You must follow your surgeon's advice for maximum results. Thank you and I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

Tummy tuck with muscle repair

If you are feeling up to it, you should be fine to take a walk.  But you should really be talking to your surgeon as his knows you and might have different post operative instructions for you.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Walking after tummytuck

Congrats on your recent surgery!  Typically walking around outside is not recommend until you are about 4 weeks out from surgery or until both drains are removed and you have been cleared for exercise by your doctor. Doing too much activity puts you at risk of developing a seroma or having other healing issues. Its best to talk with your doctor first and know what their post op instructions are. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - can I go for a walk

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck recovery.

• Generally the answer would be 'yes' but please get your post-operative instructions from your own surgeon.
  • S/he will find it hard to look after you, if you take directions from other people as well.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS