Is tumescent liposuction right for me?

I am a 28 year old male 6ft tall. I hurt my knee badly in the military and ballooned from 220 lbs to 430lbs. I have since changed my diet and exercise habits and dropped to 360. My joint pain and energy levels are my biggest obstacle in my weight loss path to regaining my former level of fitness again. I am heavily considering lipo on my stomach where the very large majority of my excess fat is. I am just looking for weight loss so I can do the rest. Not looking to get down to the muscle.

Is tumescent liposuction right for me?

Hello and thank you for your question.

It is always best to complete your weight loss programme prior to liposuction surgery as liposuction is not really a method for weight loss; it is best used when there is a specific protrusion of fat at a specific site or sites where it happens to be in excess in terms of the profile view. If a lot of progress has been made then limited liposuction can assist in keeping the weight loss programmed being effective. 

I hope that this information was useful.

best wishes.

London Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Liposuction

My advice is to continue your weight loss program before considering the liposuction.  Schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

In person exam required

You will need to be evaluated in person to determine whether or not you are a good candidate for liposuction.

Question re liposuction

Your current body mass index is over 45, which is unfortunately not within a healthy range for elective surgery.  Liposuction is not an effective technique for weight reduction.  It may be performed for contour improvement of persistent fatty deposits that are unresponsive to diet and exercise in patients close to their ideal body weight.  It is not effective for overall weight reduction.  I recommend discussing your weight concerns with your family physician.  You may be a candidate for bariatric surgery to achieve weight reduction and to lower risk of associated health conditions.  Best, Stephanie Power MD, MSc, FRCSC

Weight loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure, but does help to decrease bulges of fat. Liposuction of the abdomen will help minimize the external storage fat, but not internal fat. If you want weight loss surgery, you might consider bariatric surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction to "lose weight"

You will probably not lose more than 4-7 lbs from liposuction so you don't want to use liposuction as a weight loss technique. There are diet programs that may suit your goals. Also, if you are looking for a surgical solution, then bariatric surgery is probably more appropriate for you.
Good luck to you!

Liposuction Candidate and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss treatment you can only remove 5L max at at time.  I suggest you see a bariatric physician first and then follow up with liposuction contouring after .  You may even need skin removal.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction?

Thank you for your question. Liposuction is NOT a weight loss procedure. Liposuction addresses localized, "trouble spots" that have been resistant to diet and exercise. You may want to look into weight loss surgery which can be in the form of a gastric balloon, gastric sleeve, or gastric bypass. This will help you lose the weight throughout your body. Afterwards, you may have some loose, inelastic skin on your abdomen and arms or legs. A plastic surgeon can help you in this situation with skin excision procedures.Best WishesDr. Morrissey

Liposuction is a great motivator for almost everyone!

Patients of all sizes benefit from liposuction. Large patients can move easier, bend over easier, walk better when they don't have large fat areas hindering them. Of coarse it is not a weight loss procedure but it sure can help turn around a person's life at any size.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

Liposuction is not for weight loss.You are not a candidate for liposuction............................