Do I have tuberous breast? What are options to make them look more normal? (photos)

I'm 22 y/o and just now realizing there might be an actual cause to the shape of my breasts. They're "flat" down to the height of my nipple and the aerolas are always puffy (except when it's freezing). My left nipple is slightly inverted too. They're 36AA really, and the only thing that fits are padded t-shirt bras. If I don't wear a bra I'll hunch my back. Not even my mom has seen my boobs. Is it likely that they're tuberous? What can I do? Can I get the procedure covered?

Do I have tuberous breast? What are options to make them look more normal?

Fortunately you do not have tuberous breast. A properly done dual plane submuscular breast augmentation should give you a very nice result and improve your breast shape.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

#breastimplant

You definitely do not have tuberous breasts but you do have some asymmetry. The right breast tissue has an oval shape and the left a more tear drop shape, which I think accounts for most of the asymmetry. Also, the nipples are not exactly symmetrically positioned. Clearly if you just put in implants of the same size the asymmetry will not be resolved. Barrel stave cuts into the breast tissue on the right at the time of implant placement may resolve most of the shape asymmetry. You would have to decide whether or not nipple re-positioning is worthwhile.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

#breastimplant

Aaron Stone, MD

Do I have tuberous breasts?

millaxoxo,

Your photographs do not demonstrate the classic appearance of tuberous breasts. There is a relatively short distance between the nipple and the fold at the bottom of the breasts. This will need to be liberated in order to accommodate a breast implant when you have your breast enlargement surgery. It is important to have a reasonable goal in mind and depending on the amount of stretch which your skin demonstrates, there may be some limitations as to just how large of an implant you will be able to accept. My best advice is for you to consult a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate plenty of experience with breast augmentation surgery.

Do I have tuberous breasts?

millaxoxo,

Start with a breast augmentation and then, after 3 months, you can have a simple Benelli lift if needed

I understand your concerns. By your photos you don't have tuberous breasts because the base of your breasts is normal in width (tuberous breasts have a constricted base) and, while your areolas may be puffy, they don't herniate (protrude) through as tuberous breasts do. Nonetheless, what to do? I believe your nipples are slightly low, but in my opinion, they are not low enough to justify a long visible scar as you'd have with a vertical "lollipop" breast lift. Instead, I recommend proceeding with a breast augmentation - this will slightly lower the inframammary fold, and with the right sized implants your nipple position will appear more centered on your breasts. Be sure you see a highly experienced Board certified plastic surgeon because it's not so simple: you don't want the implants to be placed too low which will cause the implants to "bottom out" and you'd need a capsulorrhaphy to correct it. This is very subtle work, indeed! After 3 months, if your nipple position is not ideal and you want them to be higher then a Benelli lift (circumareolar) technique with skin removed moreso from bove, will likely do the trick and without the vertical scar component. 

All my best in your search.

Dr. Rad

All my best in your search.

Dr. Rad

Thank you for the question and pictures. Semantics can sometimes be more confusing than helpful; not be surprised if you receive different opinions here.

Your description sounds consistent with tuberous/constricted breasts but your photographs do not. Generally, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).

Again, given that your breasts' appearance is of concern to you, you will benefit from an in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. This consultation will allow for accurate advice that is best provided after a thorough history, physical examination, and detailed discussion of your goals. There are a lot of factors to consider when making recommendations; for example your life circumstances ( planned pregnancies, psychosocial situation…) and tolerance for scars are factors that should be taken into consideration by you and your plastic surgeon.

Thanks for your photographs and questions.  It does not appear that you have tuberous breasts but you do have low positioned nipples with limited lower pole skin.  My recommendation would be to consider either placement of a small breast implant in a partial subpectoral position or combining the procedure with either a Benelli lift or a vertical lollipop lift to improve your nipple position.  Attempting to lower your inframammary crease excessively to gain more lower pole skin runs the risk of a double bubble deformity developing and should be avoided.  Make sure that you see consultation with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
IG: jonperlmanmd

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
IG: jonperlmanmd

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tuberous breast

You will achieve optimal shape by undergoing a simultaneous implant augmentation with lift procedure. The ideal lift procedure when placing an implant is the vertical mastopexy, which allows for minimizing and customizing incision line placement. 

Tuberous breast

Breast augmentation

Hi, thanks for sharing your concern and photos with us!

First I want to congratulate you for making this important decision. Deciding to get an aesthetic procedure to change your body and get a new life style is a big step!

Looking at your photos I might say that you´ll be a great candidate to get a breast augmentation with implants. The size of the implant will depend of what you want and what your body support; the results of this procedure are beautiful, giving you and excellent shape of the inner and outer pole of the breast. 

Before all this, of course, you need to get a complete medical evaluation and laboratory exams to check everything is fine. For us your safety, always, is going to be first.

Have a great day!

Dr. JPG

Breast augmentation

Have a great day!

Dr. JPG

No you don't have tubular breasts

You don't have tuberous breasts.  If you are interested in enlarging your breasts then the best and easiest thing to do is breast augmentation with silicone implants.  Please review the before/after photos of surgeon's your interested in seeing and make sure they show you photos similar to your condition.  Make sure that they show you at least three views (front, quarter turn and profile) from each patient.  Andre Aboolian, Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon, andreaboolian.com

No you don't have tubular breasts

Do I Have Tuberous Breasts?

Thank you for your question and photos. Tuberous breasts are defined by a spectrum of characteristics including constriction around or below the areolas, puffy, widely spaced areolas and poorly defined folds. Your breasts appear to be small with constricted lower poles and you would likely be a great candidate for BA with adjustment to these areas. In-person consultation and exam is necessary to determine your needs and options. I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person to discuss your goals and plan your procedure.

All the best

Do I Have Tuberous Breasts?

All the best