Are there treatments for after I've healed from a breast lift to reduce the appearance of scars, especially around the areola?

I'm 24 years old with a 38 H cup and I want a breast lift, but the scars scare me.

Scar Questions

There are many different methods of post surgical scar management, but most agree that the mechanical properties of tape and/or silicone sheeting out perform topical scar gels, especially in the first three months. You should be relieved to hear that periareolar scars are rarely a problem with a formal type of breast lift. This is because there are very little stress forces on those incisions. 

As an aside, I would like to say that your breast size (38H) indicates your breasts are not an ideal candidate for a pure breast lift, that is to say a surgery that just removes skin.  The size and weight of your remaining breast tissue will cause rapid deterioration of your results with the phenomenon known as dropout. You would best be served with a reduction and lift.

Breast lift scars

Many patients are scared of the incisions from a breast lift.  Using silicone sheeting and pressure on the scar is the best. I use Embrace which is a special silicone sheet that will pull the incision together and puts pressure on the incision to help it heal better.    At times I have used kenalog if I need to soften a raised scar.  Go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for the best results.

Good luck ,

Andrew Cohen, MD

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Scar treatments for scar reduction after breast reduction or breast uplift surgery.

I routinely use Steri-Strips in the first 3 to 4 weeks following surgery and then commence embrace scar therapy where tape is applied to the vertical and horizontal incisions though not the circular incision to reduce tension on the skin. There is good evidence that this helps to reduce scar prominence in most people.
Good luck with your surgery and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D. FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Scar Reduction for the Breast and Areola

#Scarring may be reduced in appearance with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace). However, we recommend beginning your scar therapy a few weeks following your surgery. It is always recommended to call and see your surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Scar treatments after breast lift?

Thanks for your questions.  There are multiple options that can help to optimize scar healing and appearance.  My usual recommendation is silicone tape or embrace scar therapy for 8-10 weeks.  Silicone sheeting or brush-on gel are also good options.  If your scars become dark/red an IPL (intense pulsed light) can be utilized to even out the color/tone.  If the scars become raised/thickened steroid injection can be performed and possibly laser resurfacing.  Please discuss your scar optimization with your plastic surgeon to decide on treatment options.  Best wishes with your recovery!

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

There are a number of treatments to help the scars. You need to speak to your specific surgeon for the treatment that doctor has found to work well for his patients. In our office we use a treatment called Biocorneum with excellent patient satisfaction. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Treatment for breast areola scars

Treatment for breast areola scars includes:
1)steri-strips for one month
2)Silicone tape for one month
3)Silicone gell for two months
4)IPL if incision is red after three months
5)Kenelog injections if incision is raised.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breast Lift

Thank you for the question and there are treatments for scars that help speed their healing.  That said your choice of surgeon will also determine in many ways how you heal because his skill and care at the time of surgery will also affect how you heal.  So find an expert in your area by going on complimentary consults, compare photos and become infomed.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast Lift and Scars

Hello and thank you for asking this question on RealSelf.com.

Every woman especially young ones who need a breast lift are worried about the scars.  I understand their concerns and show them many pictures of former patients to prove that the scars will fade over time.  It is important to know that when the scars are beginning to fade, the patient will be happy because of how nice the breasts look when they are lifted.

I tell my patients that scars take about one to two years to fade.  The risk of getting a 'bad' scar is rare in my practice due to the fact that most patients get at least a two layer repair of their incisions.  I do begin all patients on scar massage two weeks after surgery to help quicken the time it takes for scars to go from thick feeling to flat.

Yes, there are other modalities available to help scars heal even quicker and at times better.  Embrace is a wonderful product to use although I have been using it for tummy tucks and arm lifts only at this time.  The company does have the product for breast lifts as well.  It could be used on the scar at the breast crease but not on the areola.

There are also many products that contain a silicone layer that could be applied to the scars after massaging.  It is well known that silicone placed on a thick scar will help it flatten.  These products are either a tape that is applied like a band-aid or topical gel.  

The key is to find a surgeon who is willing to show you lots of before and after pictures to prove his or her scars look flat, thin and faded.

Dr Spies

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Embrace Active Scar Defense for Breast Lift

A common concern for patients interested in breast lift surgery is the appearance of scars. After surgery, there are several treatments available to you to prevent bad scarring. Two important factors that contribute to bad scarring is our own DNA and tension. While we can’t control our DNA, we can control tension with the use of Embrace Active Scar Defense. This scar device is great for many different procedures. There are procedure-specific kits available for patients, and a breast lift kit is one of them! Breast lift kits include sets of strips that are designed to cover the different types of breast lift incisions. Consult your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding his or her recommendations for you. Good luck in your research!

Jerome H. Liu, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon