What would be the best treatment to remove my age spots? (Photo)

I'm 42 yo, asian woman. I would love to have a beautiful complexion.

Treatments for pigmentation

A combination of hydroquinone , lasers, and sunblock. The Halo laser is really great on treating hyperpigmentations on your type of skin. Especially in LA, you should be using a physical block every single day. Just make sure the ingredients have titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. Schedule an in person consultation with a laser specialist to find out what the best options are for your skin.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Q switched yag

The q switched yag laser can be effective for this kind of spot.It is safe and leaves temporary redness. Results vary from person to person because the depth of pigment varies .Try a test spot first to see how you tolerate the treatment .

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

What would be the best treatment to remove my age spots?

Thank you for your question. It looks to be a combination of Hyperpigmented  skin and Melasma. A combination treatment of topical creams, peels and lasers would help dramatically. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for an effecive treatment plan.

Facial pigmentation

The photos reveal solar lentigines and melasma. You need to practice strict photprotection, using sunblocks,reapplying it through out the day.Avoid being outdoors between 11 am to 3 pm, unless you are in the shade and are wearing a broad brimmed hat. Melasma can and will reoccur. See a dermatologist who will be able to provide you with further treatment options.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Light chemical peels and Melarase creams for age spots on the face

Age spots and melasma can be improved dramatically. I would begin with application of skin lightening creams such as Melarase AM and Melarase PM followed by light chemical peels, IPL Limelight, and Q switch laser. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Treatment for age spots and fine lines

The treatment option best suited for age spots would be photorejuvenation. Photorejuvenation works by exposing damaged skin to a form of intense pulsed light. This light stimulates collagen, which results in the reduction of brown spots, fine lines and even wrinkles!Under my supervision, our medical esthetician uses BBL (Broad Band Light). In order to maximise positive results, it is recommended to receive 4 to 6 treatments, between 3 and 4 week intervals. Treatments take as little as 15 minutes and require no down time, meaning you can continue your regular daily activities!
Best of luck to you! TZ

Teanoosh Zadeh, MD, FRCSC
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Best treatment to remove my age spots

There are a number of treatments that you can use. The first step is to choose an experienced and expert board certified physician who can guide you.

1) A good sunscreen is a must - we prefer a broad spectrum at least 50 SPF for South Florida

2) Core Obagi which includes clear, blender, and Retin A

3) You may also benefit from a laser resurfacing treatment such as Halo Laser (and possibly some BBL/ipl).

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified physicians to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Skin Pigmentation

Melasma or facial pigmentation is a very difficult condition to treat. In our office, we use a variety of treatments including skin care products (containing retinoic acid, hydroquinone, glycolic acids), sunscreens, chemical peels, and lasers (IPL/BBL, Q-switch, PICO, Fraxel). Over the last few years, we have had great success with the ZO Blue Peel in treating hyperpigmentation. This is a robust in-office procedure that provides dermal and epidermal stimulation allowing for maximal tightening, restoration and rejuvenation of the skin. It also minimizes or eliminates the appearance of melasma [both epidermal and dermal melasma] and facial pigmentation. All patients require 6 weeks of skin conditioning prior to the procedure with the ZO Hydroquinone or Non-Hydroquinone kit.  These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options. 

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

This is a combination of melasma and sun damage

This can be tricky, and the aim of treatment is not just to improve your sun spots, but not to agitate your melasma. Treating Asian skin can be difficult. Here is my plan-

1. Sunprotection ++++
2. Add bleaching cream like HQ, Plus vitamin A as tolerated
3. Add glycolic creams as tolerated
4. Start Q Switch low dose 1064 gentle laser treatments, or Picosure
5. Cautious about Fraxel 1927, in this setting I would use a high density, but v v low fluence - 10J at most. 
6. The sunspots itself ( lower face) can be treated with a 532 nm laser but I would be super cautious about this as it can spark off melasma. 

Overall, I would choose medical treatments over laser in this setting and then add lasers as you progress. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Melasma

From your photographs it appears you have melasma. This can be tricky to treat. Hydroquinone 4% and Retin A can be used daily followed by laser treatment. A combination approach yields the best results for the treatment of melasma.