What treatment would you recommend to improve my overall appearance? Most specifically with respect to weak chin and double chin

1. For the double chin, what is best for aesthetic outcome - lipo, kybella or other? Would it make sense to fix this issue first and see how it looks before any type of implant is placed? 2. What type of surgical approach and implant material for the chin? Is a screw beneficial and/or necessary? Also, for implant shape and size, what is the universe of options? (i.e., how precisely can an implant be chosen to blend in and create a normal appearance?) Thanks in advance for any guidance

Answers (14)

What treatment would you recommend to improve my overall appearance? Most specifically with respect to double chin

Chin Liposuction is the plastic surgery procedure that removes the excess of fat underneath the chin (double chin) and also along the inferior border of the jaw line. This allows to have a less "fat" neck specially when looking down (like when checkng the cell phone). 

A sharp neck angle ( without double chin ) is considered very aesthetically pleasant. In men with strong jaw lines, chin liposuction could enhance the masculinity of the face. 

In my practice I routinely perform chin liposuction under local anesthesia without sedation. The downtime is minimal and the results are fast. 

Improving A Weak Double Chin

It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person to discuss your options. During your initial examination, your #chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results. Liposuction under the chin is also another option your doctor can discuss. If you are not a candidate for chin or neck rejuvenation at the time of your #consultation, your board certified plastic surgeon can recommend alternatives to address your concern. 

However, there may be additional options to improve the appearance of your concern to improve the overall balance of your face. Such can be best evaluated in-person. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in #face, #neck and #chin procedures is important to ensure you are receiving the best advice, care, and surgical experience possible.

Chin Liposuction

Hello dear

Thanks for the question and provided information as well. 

Based on your photo you are a good candidate for chin liposuction, Chin liposuction can be an option, it makes you look younger and more attractive with a sharp jawline , and better facial proportions.It is important evaluate your pictures or a personal evaluation in order to give you the best option for for case. 

I recommend you to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a good evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD
Tania Medina de Garcia, MD
484 reviews

Multiple causes of weak chin appearance need different treatments

Your photos appear to show excess fat in the submental area below the chin and a relatively weak, retrusive chin when compared to your nasal projection. Accordingly, I think liposuction in COMBINATION with a chin implant is your best bet for bringing a harmonious appearance and giving you better chin projection and shaping. Kybella may be a waste of money - by the time you go through a couple of treatment cycles, you will have spent a few thousand dollars you could have spent toward liposuction and an implant and you will not get the projection an implant provides by doing Kybella alone.

Recessive chin

You have many options. I like to perform simultaneous chin augmentation with a custom or standard chin implant and submental and jawline liposuction. Kybella has limitations and requires several treatments and is not as effective as liposuction. The implant is placed through an incision below the chin. Silicone implants provide a natural result and I prefer to place a single screw to secure the implant. If the results don't meet your expectations, the implant can easily be removed. I use intravenous anesthesia in the office for this procedure. Good luck

Michael P. Morrissette, DDS
Michael P. Morrissette, DDS
Ventura Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
6 reviews

What is the best treatment to remove the fat under my chin?

Judging from your photographs, you do not have access skin in your neck, just fat. Your fat is under the chin and also along the jaw line.

The best treatment for you would be a simple liposuction done under local anesthesia. If upon examination your found to have skin that needs tightening as well, I would suggest a ThermiTight radiofrequency procedure that would be done simultaneously.

This would take one procedure, and on the results have been uniformly positive in cases like your own. This is done under local anesthesia, and there is minimal recovery time needed. The final result, however, is seen at about 3 to 4 months, even though it does look quite a bit better had three weeks.

Thank you for your question and photographs, and best of luck to you.

Ideal treatment

While most people with weak chin projection do well with chin implant this must be done with caution and people will have a week chin while still having chin projection.

You do you have a mild in balance between your mandible and maxilla(jaw and mudface) at the same time your chin as a forward projection.

This is the exact place where a chin implant would be placed.

Excessive projection of the lower chin creates an image referred to as a witches chin.

Anyone who places more than a modest chin implant will create this appearance which is undesirable.

Most people with a weak chin that a backwards or a bleak sloping tune without the chin projection you show on your profile.

My suggestion would be to start with liposuction with or without a platysma plasty.

The platysma plasty he is simply tightening the thin muscle that covers the neck from your jaw bone  your collarbones.

My personal belief is that liposuction is the gold standard for removal of subcutaneous fat in this preferential to Kybella. 

Kybella causes an excessive amount of swelling, often requires multiple treatments and is not as precise as liposuction.

If the results from liposuction with or without application of plasty it's not enough then consider adding a chin implant at some point in the future.

It's critical your chin implant it does not give too much forward projection.

Any plastic surgeon Who has a morphing computer system can show you what you would look like with action augmentation.

Be careful of an Chin enhancement that gives you an over projected chin.

Mats Hagstrom, MD 

Treatment would you recommend to improve my overall appearance? Most specifically with respect to weak chin and double chin

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures, including Chin Augmentation with dermal fillers or silastic chin implants, for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is very weak, there is a slight excess amount of fat under the chin and the mandibular angles are quite weak.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy, the lower face looks short, de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a "double chin".  

Proper placement of a silastic chin implant adds forward projection to the chin thereby creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  Using the same incision, liposuction can be performed to reduce the fat and further shape the neck.  Excess skin, from below the chin, can also be removed through the same incision.  

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty (requires extensive tissue dissection, bone cuts and placement of metal screws and plates to secure the cut segments of bone).  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Similarly, precise placement of a dermal filler can augment the mandibular angles as jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects.

Conversely, reducing the excess fat by any method alone would not add forward projection to correct the weak chin.

Hope this helps.

What treatment would you recommend to improve my overall appearance?

In my opinion one of your most noticeable features is the lack of projection in your chin.  I think either jaw surgery or a chin implant will be mandatory with the adjunct of liposuction of the submental area to help you neck contour further.  Kybella will provide very limited results at moderate to high cost in my opinion.

Meet with an experienced plastic surgeons and review photographs of other patients until you find a surgeon and a plan that gives you a sense of confidence.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California
IG: jonperlmanmd

Jon A. Perlman, MD
Jon A. Perlman, MD
36 reviews

The photographs demonstrate fatty deposits most likely located above and below the platysma muscle, and in weak and recessive chin profile. Consider placement of a chin implant to help augment the chin forward help with facial balance and proportions. Surgical removal of the fat above and below does the muscle with liposuction and a platysma plasty will significantly improve the jawline. Both procedures are complementary to each other. Chin implants are composed of solid silicone, and can be sewn in place. No screw fixation is necessary. For many examples of chin implants in combination with a neck lift, and diagrams of the chin implants themselves, please see the link and the video below

Ask a Provider

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors.
FOR FREE.