Is there a treatment/injection for your face that can pull your cheek to the side towards your ear?

My face is assymetrical and I'm assuming it's from a muscle imbalance in my face. Is there an injection like Botox or something else that can pull one half of your face towards your ear? The goal is to correct asymmetry. Thanks.

Doctor Answers 6

Asymmetrical Face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, in your description, you did not specify if this is an acquired condition - such as through trauma or bell's palsy or shingles or one you have had since birth.  A thorough assessment of the degree of asymmetry and underlying cause would be my first suggestion.  Looking back at old photos may be helpful if this has been a slow progression.  Your best course of action, if the asymmetry is more than cosmetically noticeable, would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon.  If your asymmetry is caused by sun exposure, such as your driver's side is much less full than your non-driver's side, then this is much more common and fillers could make all the difference.  Knowing the cause and history will help you decide which direction and doctor to choose.  I hope this is helpful.  Shelby Bentz MD

Bakersfield Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Is there a treatment/injection for your face that can pull your cheek to the side towards your ear?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my experience the greatest success in improving (though not perfecting) facial asymmetry is through the use of fillers to more evenly balance the bone structure of the face.  This will not pull your cheek toward your ear but may make your frontal profile look more symmetric and even.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon, accomplished dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon to discuss options.  You might also enjoy the video that I have linked to above about how to improve facial aesthetics without surgical procedures.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Asymetrical face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

No one is symmetrical but you may have more of an asymmetry than most and there is help. Botox is the best solution but be sure you see a board certified and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon because this is not easy

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

You might also like...

Improving facial asymmetries

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a tough question without pictures. Sometimes this can be improved with fillers. Other options include PDO threads, surgery, implants. See an expert for this problem.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Facial Asymmetry and treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Everyone has some amount of facial asymmetry (differences between the two sides of your face). 

If the differences are small, I often do not recommend changing anything. If the differences are noticeable, there are treatment options available to you. The asymmetry is typically a contour issue. To change the shape you can use temporary fillers or more permanent options like fat transfer or implants. For severe asymmetries orthognathic surgery changes the underlying structure of the face by adjusting the facial bones. 

Each case is unique, I would recommend a consultation to determine which treatment options are appropriate for your face to achieve a safe and happy outcome. I would start conservatively with fillers. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Symmetrical Solution

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, here are many options to fix asymmetries of the face including: fillers, Sculptra, fat and implants for a more permanent solution. I suggest seeing an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.