Tip rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty? (photo)

I'd like to get a nose job in a few months, but I'm afraid of breaking my nose; is a tip rhinoplasty a good idea for me?

Tip rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty

The far majority of patients must undergo a full rhinoplasty, not a tip rhinoplasty to make sure all the components of the nose balance with themselves, and the entire new nose balances within the patient's facial features. The nose is a three-dimensional structure, so it's very important to look at it in all three dimensions, not from one single photograph. Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones are required to narrow the  upper two thirds of the nose. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Tip rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty?

Your nose is wide on the boney and tip cartilages. The surgery can be performed under general anesthesia so you wont feel any of the surgery. Regardless, your nasal tip cartilages are wide and need to be contoured and brought closer together.

Fred Suess, MD

Tip rhinoplasty

Tip rhinoplasty can be done without breaking the nose if the nasal dorsum looks good. In order to determine whether you can get away without changing your dorsum,  side or angled views need to be reviewed with you. For patients that don't need their dorsum altered, you can avoid breaking the nose. Please see results below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear cosmeticoptions, Based solely on this frontal view photograph you would benefit nicely from a full rhinoplasty to reduce your tip, as well as your nasal bridge. A profile view would be necessary to discuss any changes that may be needed with your nasal dorsum. Osteotomies are performed routinely in rhinoplasty surgery to adjust the nasal bones and you should not have any concerns with this portion of the procedure. Most importantly you want to address the entire nose as changing one aspect of the nose i.e.  refining the tip without addressing the bridge will then make the bridge appear wider. When having a full rhinoplasty the end result will be a natural looking nose that balances nicely with your overall facial aesthetics and enhances the other features on your face. During consultation imaging can be performed which will show you these proposed changes. Seek some consultations with experts in the field of rhinoplasty surgery and review their before and after photographs to ensure natural looking results. See some examples in the link below and the imaging process in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty

Your nasal bridge is wide and asymmetrically shaped. You would benefit from a full rhinoplasty that addresses the septum, nasal bones, upper cartilages, and tip cartilages.  The nose is not 'broken', but bones are precisely cut and adjusted. Although is does cause more swelling and bruising, most people look very good in 1 to 2 weeks. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in rhinoplasty. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tip Rhinoplasty or Full Rhinoplasty?

We always want to do as little work as possible to achieve a a well defined proportional nose. Your tip and nasal base should be narrowed but I need to see a profile view to determine if you should consider a change your bridge or the mid-portion of your nose. Don't be concerned about breaking your nose because this is frequently done in most rhinoplasty operations by experienced surgeons.

Tip rhinoplasty only or full rhinoplasty?

Thanks for your photo.  During a face to face consultation a rhinoplasty expert can judge whether a tip rhinoplasty alone would be in your best interest.  From your photo I suspect that a full rhinoplasty would be more likely to leave you happy over the long term.  Good luck and best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Full rhinoplasty vs tip plasty?

you need a full rhinoplasty to balance the various components of your nose  including the tip. Breaking of the nose should not concern you since this is a normal part of rhinoplasty. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses for the best results. 

Tip rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty?

Improving the nostril width and refining a bulbous tip to achieve an improved natural appearing cosmetic result are frequent requests of patients wanting nasal refinement. It is possible to improve the cosmetic appearance of the tip alone without altering the rest of the nose in some patients. Whether the optimal option in your particular situation would be a tip rhinoplasty alone or a full rhinoplasty would best be determined at a consultation. Either procedure can be performed with a closed or open approach.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited 2 dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS 

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tip rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and I would go on some complimentary consultations where they use digital photography to show you how your nose might look following surgery.  That way you can make an informed decision what procedure would be best aesthetically for you

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD