What do you think of the tip extension suture for lengthening the nose? (Photo)

I already have extended spreader grafts, septal extension graft, but I may want more length. Is a tip extension suture effective? Does it require extra cartilage to work?

Rhinoplasty: lengthening the nose

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

Lengthening the nose requires techniques that are strong enough to hold the tip in position as it heals. Extended spreader grafts and caudal septal extension grafts are two of the more effective cartilage grafting techniques to provide that structure and length. 

One of the limits of how much you can increase the length of the nose is the skin of the nose. Tight, scarred skin won't stretch and can rotate the tip of the nose if there is too much tension. I would discuss this with your surgeon for a safe an happy outcome. Safety comes first.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Maybe

It is essential to see pictures and evaluate the nose to determine the best answer to this question.  That being said, "maybe".  It depends on the projection of your nose, radix position, dorsal length, activity of your nasal musculature, to name only a few possibilities.  You need to see your doctor, and, if still uncertain, obtain several consultations from experienced rhinoplasty surgeons.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wanting to extend nose even farther

In order to extend your tip farther, the ideal choice is an extended septal cartilage graft; any other maneuver will be less effective including a suture extension technique.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Tip extension suture?

It is impossible without photos or an exam to answer the question if this is the right procedure for you. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to evaluate your nose.

Tip Extension Suture to Lengthen the Nose

A tip extension suture is one of many techniques to lengthen the nose but I don't know if this is the best approach for you. There are advantages and disadvantages of each.