When is the best time to start a facelift? How may facelifts can I safely do in a lifetime?

Most of the surgeons recommend facelift especially SMAS lift for things like jowls noso nabial folds etc. 1. what happens when the layers are pulled . Some scar tissue is being created undderneath the skin which is less elastic , right? 2. Is second facelift more difficult to perform - why? is it because of the above ? does it mean that in the second facelift skin may be stretched unevenly? How many facelifts can I safely and without big difficulties and risks have in the lifetime? Thanks e

What Age is Best for a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift. During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift, individualized for each patient, that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. But whose skin has elasticity with well defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.

What is the best time to start a facelift?

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!

A good facelift should last. Otherwise do a Silhouette Instalift

It is important to perform a "good" natural facelift for the first lift, so that the effects can last for 10-20 years.  While the ideal age for a first facelift is probably in the 40's (pre-menopause) for women, most patients seek these in their 50's (peri-menopause or post-menopause).

I recommend a "deep plane" facelift with a subperiosteal mid-facelift, and have 38 years of experience with facelift longevity.  This results in a long lasting and natural appearance. If you are normal weight or thin, it avoids the "joker" look that can occur for this type of patient. However, the results of a facelift may depend more on the skill of the surgeon and his/her experience and judgement than the technique involved.

I don't believe that a second facelift is (usually) more difficult to perform, but there can be more scar to work through.  There are, however, different problems that occur with a secondary that may interfere with an ideal result. 

If you are not ready to have a facelift, a Silhouette InstaLift can give you a 11/2 to 2 year result that results in a good improvement.

I recommend that you go to a board certified facial plastic surgery specialist with experience for overall results.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Thank you for your question. There isn't a specific age that is considered the right or most appropriate age for a facelift. The right time for a facelift is more about the look of your face than the chronological age. Many people are seeking facelifts at earlier ages that eve before - and the younger you get the procedure, the more subtle the changes will be and the longer your lift will last. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Time to Start a Facelift

While there isn’t a specific age you should consider a Facelift, there are signs you can look out for. Some of these signs include sagging skin, muscles, and fat in the face and neck, excess skin and fat on the neck, sagging jaw line, and crease lines along the nose, mouth, and chin. In terms of how many Facelift procedures you can undergo this all depends on a case by case basis due to everyone having different skin laxity. Only a certified surgeon can recommend if another Facelift procedure may be right for you. Hope this helps. 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Frequency of Facelifts

Personally, I use the SMAS technique on all of my facelifts. I think it delivers the most natural looking results. In general, patients can get a facelift every 7-10 years, but it's obviously going to depend on the individual. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Best Age for a Facelift?

A facelift is appropriate when a patient has the aging changes that a facelift will address and is willing to consider a surgical solution.  The way a facelift is performed is somewhat variable based on the Surgeon you see, but generally agreed upon components of facelift techniques include elevation and re-positioning of the SMAS layer, tightening of the platysma muscle in the neck, and removal of redundant skin in a tension free manner. The goals of a facelift are to re-position the cheeks, tighten a loose jawline, elevate jowls, and give a sharper angle to the neck.  Most suitable patients for a facelift procedure are age 40 and higher, but age is seen as secondary to indications and general health.  The number of facelifts a patient can or "should" have depend on a several factors: 1) The way the SMAS is handled in prior procedure(s).  An inadequate or flimsy SMAS robs the Surgeon of the tension bearing layer. 2) The anatomy and physiology of the patient.  Large fluctuations in an individual's weight tend to negatively affect facelift results and longevity. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing

Dear Ev3345

Thank you for your questions! They are excellent.  The facelift will address the NL fold , jowl, neck skin laxity, facial contour and volume. The technique will depend on the surgeon.  The skin does become less elastic after a lift - so the skin removal is always less than predicted. The shaping and skin redraping - is dependent on the surgeon and should be even , regardless of the number of surgeries. Secondary facelifts can be technically more difficult - BUT, good planning should take care of these issues. Generally a  lift can be preformed every 7 to 10 years.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Best age for Facelift

There really is no "best age" for a facelift as the needs and goals differ from patient to patient.  The main variable to look for is a significant change in jawline, jowls and neck laxity.  Just how much any of these issues truly bothers a patient, plays a significant role as well.  Generally, late 40's is the earliest I would suggest having a facelift, however there are exceptions. Massive weight loss for example can lead to premature aging.   

A well done facelift should not require a second facelift even in later years.  However, revisions and touch-ups can be made down the road should the patient need or want them.  A revision procedure can be easier to perform but more technically complicated due to the presence of scar tissue from the original facelift procedure.  Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Philip Solomon

Philip Solomon, MD, FRCS
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift timing

It varies considerably the age at which somebody will benefit from a facelift.  As far as the SMAS procedure is concerned, each surgeon has their own version of tightening the deeper layers in the face and there is no evidence that one type is better than another.  If you choose an experienced plastic surgeon with a good reputation you will be fine.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD