Thick or thin nose skin? (photos)

Do I have thick or thin nose and can rhinoplasty make my bridge thinnger and lower?

Thin or Thick Nose Skin?

To make an accurate assessment, you would need to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills and Los Angeles Locations

Thickness of the skin

Hi there,

I can't estimate from the photo the thickness of your skin. It would be better to determine the thickness of the skin in the office with an assessment in person.

Having said that, based on your photos, I do think you can thin and reduce the nasal bridge and get a good result.

I recommend you consult a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal skin thickness

In general, men have thicker skin than women.  So, assuming you are male and of Asian ethnicity, I would say you have medium thickness skin.  Thank you for the question.

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thick or Thin Nasal Skin

It is difficult to to provide an accurate evaluation of skin thickness with pictures in this forum. Your skin does appear to be moderately thick but this will impact the final appearance of the tip much more than your bridge. I encourage you to consult with a experienced rhinoplasty surgeon; I feel you can achieve significant improvement.

Rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal

A Closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish decreasing the overall projection of the nose, shaving down the bony and cartilaginous dorsal hump, and narrowing the bridge line, with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose.  The thickness of the skin has to be determined at the time of the examination and consultation. When patient's have thick skin after a rhinoplasty procedure, it may require some steroid shots in the first few months afterwards, due excessive swelling in that area

Rhinoplasty candidate

You will make a great candidate for rhinoplasty surgery. More importantly, your nasal skin thickness is ideal for this surgery; your skin is not too thick and not too thin, just perfect. A consultation is necessary to provide you details of your surgery.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for bridge narrowing and lowering.

Your photos appear to show average Caucasian skin thickness, however an examination would be necessary to make this determination.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thick or thin nose skin?

Based on your photos but without an examination, you do not appear to have excessively thick skin.The areas that concern you can be realistically cosmetically improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thick or Thin skin and how it affects rhinoplasty

The thickness of the skin on the nose should be considered in rhinoplasty. 

Thin skin is prone to visible edges of cartilage and grafts. Scar can shrink wrap and pinch the nose over time.

Thick skin needs to be stretched to create definition. Swelling can be significant and last longer. 

At your consultation, your rhinoplasty specialist should take photographs and examine the skin on your nose. Based on the thickness and other characteristics of your nose, they can discuss with you the potential techniques and the expected course of healing for a safe and happy outcome.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

A base view would help to better evaluate your nose but based on the picture you have, your nasal skin looks thick. Consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist will give you a better sense of the surgical options available.

Donald B. Yoo, MD