Is this swelling normal on day 2 of Restylane? (Photo)

Had restylane injected Friday morning and I didn't have noticeable swelling but I woke up the next day and I looked like I was stung by a bee. Is this level of swelling normal for day 2? I have never experienced this much swelling. How can I reduce it?

Minimizing Injectable Swelling

Here are some suggestions to minimize your swelling:
Cooling with ice (never directly on the skin), head elevation, Arnica, Bromelain and Advil after a few days will tend to help with swelling.

Swelling Post Filler

It is very common to have swelling post filler injections I suggest waiting/being patient for a few weeks unless the swelling is out of proportion or has significant pain.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling After Restylane

Hi Vanessa. Your swelling after Restylane injections ;looks well within the normal range.  In fact, under the eyes is one of the most sensitive areas and more profound swelling can occur in this area.  

For examples of Restylane injections under the eyes for our Los Angeles patients, check the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Tear trough swelling after Restylane is normal

I tell my patients to sleep upright for a couple days after Restylane to the tear troughs. Ice won't help at this point because the swelling is related to the product absorbing water. It will be worse in the morning and get better as the day goes on. I had one pateint do head stands after this procedure and needless to say she had edema. Don't do head stands either. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Restylane Injections and Swelling

Restylane is a fabulous facial injection and I use it often for the area under the eyes.  Some patients experience swelling or bruising after the injections which can last for several days.  I would suggest you ice the area and it should resolve in time.  If you are concerned please return to your treating dermatologist for evaluation.  For the best cosmetic result please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with facial rejuvenation and cosmetic injections. 

Is this swelling normal on day 2 of Restylane?

Thank you for your question. Swelling is a common side effect of under eye injections and can last approx. 2 weeks. Applying cold compresses for 10 mins several times a day and sleeping with your head elevated can help to reduce swelling. If after 2 weeks you remain swollen, schedule a follow up with your injector to discuss your concerns. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD