Swelling in areas I didn't have liposuction. Help! (photos)

I had liposuction on my arms and upper back but I am having a lot of swelling in my lower back and feel like my stomach and sides are swollen as well. Should I be worried? What can I do to stop the swelling?

Post liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Swelling in untreated parts of the body is very common and caused by gravity and positioning. It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. Please seek an expert if you have further concerns. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction Swelling

Hello,This is completely normal, as swelling can go in all directions, especially downward by the pull of gravity. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Liposuction swelling in areas not treated

Thank you for your question.  Yes swelling can occur in areas that were not treated due to gravity and other factors.  Wearing a compression garment can help with some of the swelling but will not completely stop it.  It is always best to follow up with your surgeon and let him know what is going on  with your recovery.
Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Liposuction swelling is areas that weren't treated

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Gravity will shift the swelling after liposuction.
  • When you stand the swelling moves down -
  • When you sleep it will shift to the sides.
  • The swelling is a biologic process that cannot be stopped -
  • It is controlled with the compression garments.
  • However it is essential to tell your surgeon what is going on - s/he may want to see you to check youi. .
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Swelling in adjacent areas

you may want to consider following up with your plastic surgeon.

It's common for areas that were not treated to have some degree of swelling.
This is especially true in area's physically below the area treated.

Gravity has a tendency to accumulate fluid at the lowest point.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Swelling in areas I didn't have liposuction. Help!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD