Could this be surgically fixed? (Photo)

My eyes are clearly uneven, they've been this way my entire life. I've always wanted surgery to correct them, but how risky is the surgery? Is it an easy fix? Or are they likely to still be uneven?

Doctor Answers 10

Ptosis of left eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears that you have mild ptosis (drooping) of the left upper eyelid. If this has been this way your entire life, this is likely congenital ptosis that make be a little bit tricky to treat. If you ptosis is responsive to an stimulating drop, you would be a candidate for a very straightforward surgery that fixes the ptosis for the backside of your eyelid without scars. 
Best to see someone w/ experience treating eyelid disorders for an in person consultation. 

Could this be surgically fixed?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are complaining about dropping of the eyelids or lower eyelid bagginess then you might be a good candidate for the Laser Blepharoplasty operation. Although the plastic surgery era is highly developed and there are new treatment models for several other procedures; there is still no efficient alternative of blepharoplasty operation. If you are not comfortable with the look of your eyelids blepharoplasty operation may be a solution for you

Left eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello Mariah,
Thank you for your photo and questions.  From the photos, it appears you have left upper ptosis (eyelid droop).  The surgery should be able to correct your problem, but there are some minor risks (overcorrection, undercorrection of the lid sag, persistent asymmetry of the eyelids, infection, pain, Hering's Reflex, scarring, and vision changes are some of the risks).  In general these risks are minor and the benefit of your surgery should outweigh the risks.  But be sure to have a consultation with an experienced Plastic, Facial Plastic, or Oculoplastic Surgeon who routinely performs ptosis surgery.  Good luck!

You might also like...

Eyelid ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The drooping, (Ptosis) of your left eyelid can likely be corrected with surgery. An in-person exam and consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon will help determine the best approach for you.

All the best

Uneven eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on you photos, you have some mild ptosis (drooping of the eyelid) on the left. See a local oculoplastic surgeon for an eyelid consultation. He/she can recommend a few different types of corrective procedures based on your examination.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Eyelid ptosis causing eye asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The asymmetry appears to be droopy left upper eyelid (ptosis) which could be corrected by eyelid ptosis surgery, which can be done under local anesthesia. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi. It looks like you have left upper eyelid ptosis. It is probably congenital ptosis (since you say that you have had it your entire life). Ptosis can usually be corrected with surgery. The procedure is usually performed as an out patient or in the office with local anesthesia. There are several different surgical techniques that can correct ptosis. A thorough evaluation including eyelid measurements and examination of the eye itself can help determine your best options. I recommend you see an oculoplastic surgeon for a consultation (especially since you likely have congenital eptosis, which can be more complicated to repair and manage). Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D.

Ira Vidor, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears that you have Ptosis, your left lid is lower than your right. I would consult with an occuloplastic surgeon in your area. After potential medical causes for this have been eliminated, surgery can be performed to achieve better symmetry.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a ptosis of the left upper eyelid.  See an oculoplastic surgeon who can evaluate the eyelid muscles and determine what surgery would be best to elevate the lid.  


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your picture, it looks like you have left upper lid ptosis. I would suggest consulting an occuloplastic or facial plastic surgeon in your area to review the procedure and set your expectations for outcome.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.